Re: alternator kit?

It has been a while since I bought alternator parts, but I have been under the delusion that they are still available.

Sometimes an alternator shop will sell them to you.

The last time I bought them, it was from a mechanics quality parts outlet, not a franchise place. But that has been a long time.

For most alternators, it is not rocket science to rebuild them.

Reply to
<HLS

I generally buy my rebuild parts from a local alternator/ generator repair shop, they're friendly reasonably priced, and easy to do business with. I usually have them press in any bearings that are pressed into the case. I also see that

carries parts as well atvery reasonable prices. I've dealt with them in the pastand the only glitch was Delco brand suspension bushingstook two weeks to get. JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

In my experience, the front (pulley end) alternator bearing is the most difficult to replace.

When you disassemble, the rotor comes out with the end bell. Most of my experience is with Delco alternators and the bearing is retained by a metal plate on the inside. To get to the screws that hold this retainer plate, you must press the rotor shaft out of the bearing. This is tough to do without damaging the alum. cast end bell. You need split bearing puller plate to go between the end bell and the rotor, then a two or three leg puller or arbor press.

If I have noisy front bearing, I take it to the shop or get a rebuilt one. However, these are becoming even harder to find. Replacement, new alternators are all that the parts stores now have.

Reply to
Steve

I haven't checked in a while, but I'd think that NAPA and Car Quest would both still sell the individual components. Pardon if I'm wrong; hth, otherwise. s

Reply to
sdlomi2