Re: GM V6 Engine Warning - True Sad Story (Long)

You are right about the cars being disposable. For most people it is just a "business" decision to lease or buy a vehicle, keep it for 2-3 years, then trade it in for a new one, ... and repeat the cycle. This way, you always have the warranty to cover you in case of any major problem. Any other related cost, towing etc. is covered by the warranty or by AAA. So you will never be caught with an unexpected expanse. Since most people can't fix or don't have any interest in fixing their own cars, if there is anything wrong with an older car, they will be hit with a lot of inconvenience and expanse. It is that piece of mind that come with the decision,... it is the same with just about anything else these days, if something is broken, buy a new one, if something is about to break, throw it away, buy a new one, if something is out of style, get rid of it, and buy a new one. Nobody is interested in have things fixed anymore. My kids are all like that.

Reply to
DL

The Krauts still build cars that you can keep for many years/miles. Unfortunately they always get slammed by CR et. al. for higher maintenance and repair costs because they use higher quality parts and recommend more extensive (and therefore expensive) periodic preventative maintenance (that *all* car owners *should* do, but US and Japanese mfgrs. don't recommend because they have subscribed to the mentality that you mention above.)

nate

...proud owner of several VWs and a '62 Studebaker.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I think theres a regulation, but i cant remember. That cars need to last atleast 10 years. And they change the standards. I think it is more of the emissions on the car needs to last that long for the EPA to be happy.

I got 3 vw bugs(vintage) not the ghey ass crap that they drive now. fiero, tbird and couple motorcycles. I will be buying more cars so dont judge me by my very small collection. i still want my 57 bel air, few 60s and 70s muscle cars. And a few more

80s cars. I love the old obdI cars. No jap crap, except motorcycles. And other wise it's all american or europe.

There are some people that are not real car people. Ive met a few of them saying why do you own junk. Their thing is to buy a new car every 2 or 3 years. I guess this is good for the manufacturers. There has been a thing that used car dealers are losing business with all the buy a new car on lease and payment plans etc... Making it more affordable these days.

The nightmare for the car euthusiast is that all the cars will be crushed a lot earlier. Making parts at the junkyard hard to get. And the government wanting to elminate pick a part yards. A great place to get parts that the dealer no longer makes or costs as much as the used car.

I dont think i like any of the cars of today besides something thats very eye appealing. vette viper some lincolns, cadillac but who knows if these will be the classics 40 years from now. Hopefully it wont be an escort.

If your wife says throw that vintage car out, dont do it. Keep it in your garage till another car lover comes along and buys it, and keeps it in his garage for another 10 years.

Reply to
Erik

IMO the UAW was the demise of the American auto industry. Detroit had to offset higher wages, benefits and perks with cheapness. The UAW hounded the industry out of the country. The greed of the UAW forced makers to condense and constantly redesign in order to cut jobs it couldn't afford. I was praying during the GM walkouts that they would shut the doors and cancel the model year and show them who has who by the balls. The Japs were just loving that. We owe the Jap success to the UAW and the blind fools who don't know how good they had it, or understand that corporate profitability means job security. I'm sure there are many out of work auto workers who are wondering if they bit the hand that fed them. Meanwhile the 2nd largest investment for a family(next to the house) has become disposable income.You won't catch me buying a new car.

Reply to
Akacguy6161

"Blame the workers" was the standard explanation back in the 80's when the Japanese were gaining market share, due IMHO to better reliability and gas mileage.

Then NUMMI came along, building the Corolla rebadged as a Chevy Nova. It turned out that, although being built in California by American union workers, it was just as reliable as the Corolla.

I remember an assembly worker at the time marveling at the design of the car, saying it was so well designed that it was impossible to make a mistake putting it together. It seems that it was "design for reliability", not the workers, that makes the difference.

Reply to
kgold

I just drove one to work this AM. ('62 Studebaker Lark) you know what? it's a better driving car than my landlady's '8(mumble) Olds that I drove last night. Now *THAT'S* sad.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My '73 Plymouth drives much better than any rental I've had, and I drive a lot of rental cars (Avis- GM and Toyota). Its not as quiet and not as fuel-efficient, but those are about the only shortcomings. Thats also why I've kept it for 20+ years and 420,000+ miles....

Reply to
Steve

Hopefully, GM will one day WAKE UP and start taking care of its customers. | You have to question the wisdom of a company when it is willing to give | $4000 incentive to sell a vehicle but unwilling to spend a single penny to | retain a faithful customer. Furthermore, given the extent of the problem, | any responsible company would have recalled these engines already | | TRUE story but SAD to see a great company seeking its own destruction. |

The above is such a wise and true statement.

MAke it a new discussion thread?

Reply to
Daniel

GM agrees with you. They put Honda V-6's in the Saturn SUV.

Reply to
GRL

"GRL" wrote

They did? What year was that?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Maybe he was thinking of the Isuzu with the GM 2.8?

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

The 2004 Saturn Vue now has a Honda V-6 engine, if you buy the 6 cylinder option. And the 4 cylinder engine is the GM corp. 2.2 engine. No more Saturn engines for now.

Honda is said to be getting Isuzu diesel engines out of the deal.

Reply to
mcyben

????????

Weird, my 1990 Grand-Am with the quad-4 engine runs like a charm (no leaks or burns) but my buddy's 1990 Honda Accord has been burning oil for the past

5 years...

Dan

1990 Grand-Am SE Quad-4 HO 5 spd 1989 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI

Reply to
Black Bomb

The 2004 Saturn Vue has a Honda V6 in it.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Nope, it's a Honda V6 in the 2004 Vue

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Are these the same engines

As for the whole who leaks/burns oil issue. I've got a '95 Integra GS-R which uses a fair bit of oil at 130K miles. Not blue smoke, and not a drop on the ground. My dad's '96 Buick Regal uses a lot of oil and leaves a lot. I've done all the changes for him, and I always notice a crusty mess of caked on dirt/oil around the oil pan when I change the oil.

Reply to
y_p_w

Whoops - forgot my original question.

Is this the V6 that turns the way that most engines do? I seem to recall that Honda makes engines that rotate in the opposite direction compared to the vast majority of engines out there. I heard they developed one to be compatible, and that they could sell outside of Honda.

Reply to
y_p_w

"ben@" wrote

Interesting, the 2004 manual for the VUE does show a 3.5 engine. It doesn't specifically say that it's made by Honda, but it certainly doesn't look like anything that GM makes or uses. Certainly looks bad for GM when they have to pull their "world" v-6 engine and use a Honda engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
y_p_w

"y_p_w" wrote

Thanks for the links. Any engine is better then the "Opel derived" v-6 piece of shit.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai