Re: How old is too old to start running synthetic?

I have heard of all the benefits of synthetic oil, but have also heard that it's

>best not to run it in an older engine that has been using dino oil, as the seals >and o-rings may start to leak and cause a bigger problem than they solve. > >So my question is, how old is too old? I have a '92 Buick with a 3800 under the >hood. It's old, but only has 68,000 miles on it, barely broken in for a 3800. >Would I get any benefit from synthetic? How about (more importantly) any likely >drawbacks? > >Thanks, > >Mike O'Malley >

I've switched vehicles that had 150K on them to synthetic with zero problems. Occasionally you'll get leaks from gaskets/seals that were gunked up after the synthetic cleans out the gunk.

The only real problem I've had with synthetics was when I sucked the old dirty icky power steering fluid out of a Mustang and replaced it with Valvoine Synthetic PS fluid. The rack started leaking badly shortly thereafter. Switching back to regular PS fluid slowed it down but I had to replace the rack a few months later.

Reply to
AZGuy