Slow conversion to synth oil; 1988 2.2 turbo II

Hello All:

Let me preface this with I have always been a proponent of frequent oil changes with conventional motor oil vs extended change intervals with synthetic oil. I keep my cars a long time, and have always changed the oil at 2K (no, not 3K ) mile intervals. I use plain Jane Valvoline, and try to stock up cases of the stuff when there are rebates that equate to $0.89/quart.

I work with an AMSOIL distributor, and am convinced that 0w30 is probably the right thing to do for the Lancer Shelby. I bought this car new, and currently at 82K miles it has had only 10w30 conventional Valvoline changes at 2K intervals when it was a daily driver, now down to once a year at around 500 mile intervals.

I have mentioned that switching to synth oil this late in the game will cause massive oil "hemorrhaging" everywhere. My trusty AMSOIL distributor recommended perhaps a slow conversion, using one quart of

0w30 with three quarts of conventional on my next change, then 50-50, then full 0w30. He commented that "AMSOIL does not recommend this, due to the fact that you cannot use extended drain periods, but otherwise it is not a problem."

So, my LeBaron, and Impala will continue with the conventional oil and

2K intervals, but the once a year Lancer may get a synth conversion.

OPINIONS, PLEASE! Let's hear it all!

Thanks for your time in replying, and have a nice day,

Bill

Reply to
billccm

Switching to synthetic oil doesn't really CAUSE oil leaks, merely exposes failing gaskets that were "good enough" for conventional oil that has larger and non-uniform molecule sizes compared to synthetic. I've switched several (used) vehicles to synthetic at near-100K miles with zero oil leakage other than at points where the gaskets were already suspect (oil-soaked, weeping). No weaning required.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Leaks... I wasn't thinking about that when I started reading this. I'd be concerned about the possibility of old sludge accumulations breaking free and blocking oil passages.

I did a sudden switch to Mobil 1 with a Toyota 4 cyl. 22R in its later life, and very soon after that it started having recurring episodes of low oil pressure accompanied by loud engine ticking. I think that I usually used "waxy" Pennzoil before the switch, and this Lancer's engine may be cleaner than mine was, but I wouldn't take the gamble.

Reply to
Beryl

I agree with Beryl. Anyone who tells you there is no risk in switching over at high mileage is flat out wrong regardless of how many times they may have done it successfully. It may work fine, but there is definitely risk. I don't know what the statistics are, but there are definite risks.

I switched a turbo'd Subaru over (from Castrol to Cstrol Syntec) at 180k miles and had to switch back. The valve clatter didn't stop until I took measures to get the lifters cleaned out from whatever got into them and either stuck the pistons or interfered with the check valves.

Bill Putney