Re: learning to rebuild engines

Anyone happen to know a site that lists all the special tools that would be required in rebuilding an engine?

Aar> I am interested in learning how to rebuild engines, and was wondering

what was the best way to start out. I know that it will require A LOT > of time and $$$ for the correct tools, etc. If anyone has any > suggestions please let me know. > > Thanks, > Aaron >
Reply to
Aaron Walker

You didn't like the idea of buying a book?

I really don't like the Chilton's manuals, but their book one Engine Rebuilding I think is the best one they've put out. Even though it's general in nature (some specific information is provided, but not much), it does cover the subject quite well from how the engine operates to noise diagnosis, manual rebuilding techniques, etc. Soft cover goes for about $12.

The Haynes Ford engine repair manual covers 255, 260, 289, 302, 351,

360, 390, 400, 428, 429 & 460 cu in V8 engines, but I can't think of anything really different about the 4.0L (other than the specs). $19.95 from Haynes.

BTW, you are more than likely going to need a manual for the specs anyway.

Automotive Engine Rebuilder's Association Bulletin Search

DEDICATED AUTOMOTIVE MACHINIST PROGRAMS IN THE NATION
AERA Standards of Service

saeengineer

A good reference book is money well spent. I just subscribed to Alldata for a car that is not referenced by Haynes, Chilton, etc, and - so far - the Alldata information is very professional. Cost is about 15 bucks, and it seems you get access to shop type service information.

To the original poster... you don't have to have every tool that they make to do competent engine rebuilding. Unless you get really serious, for example, you don't need boring bars, crankshaft and cam grinders, valve grinders, balancing equipment.

You need a decent set of hand tools, including a torque wrench, gasket scraper, wrench set of box/open and sockets, maybe even Allen type ball peen hammer, perhaps a balancer puller pry bar screwdrivers, various piston ring installation tool Piston installation tool (sleeve type) some scrap brass stock pieces (to use as drivers, etc) a bottoming tap or two (particularly to fit the headbolt threads)

- if you want them, dial indicator, calipers or micrometers, etc

There is a magazine called Super Chevy or some such that which, in the August

2003 issue, has started a series on your 'First or (Best)' engine rebuilt Take a look. It has a list of 18 neato tools that most of us would never use in our whole lives. I'll try to find the website for you.
Reply to
Larry Smith

Thanks Larry. I appreciate the help.

Reply to