Re: Newbie Needs Help

My son has an 1992 Ford Tempo GL with an air conditioner rattle that = would

>wake up the dead, sounds like the whole car is shaking to pieces. > >I have traced the problem to the air conditioner clutch assy. and it = only >rattles when the air condition disingages automatically or when it is = shut >off. Is this an easy problem to repair while the unit is still in the = car >or does the compressor have to be removed to facilitate a repair? > >An help will be greatly appreciated > >Jimbo >

The clutch or clutch air gap is bad.

I would remove the compressor to complete the repair.

Reply to
saeengineer

Saeengineer:

Not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks for responding.

This unit uses the old style refridgerant so if I have to remove it, legally it has to be bleed by a professional and recharged with the new style refridgerant, a very costly process for such an old car.

If I could find away of getting at the clutch assy without removing it from the car do you think it could be repaired?

The clutch or clutch air gap is bad.

I would remove the compressor to complete the repair.

Reply to
Jimbo

Replaced, yes.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

It has been quite a while since I've done A/C work on a Tempo, but in the long run I think removing the compressor is the easiest way to go. Keep in mind, a drier replacement would be a good idea while you have the system apart. You can get a change over kit for about $50 and could do it yourself while the system is discharged to save on overall costs.

Ask around to find out if your local parts store can change the clutch for you.

Recovering the refrigerant and recharging should not be that expensive.

Reply to
saeengineer