Re: Oil Change for a 2001 Buick Century

Changed oil & filter myself for the first time in my 2001 and tried my damndest to reset the change oil indicator. Followed the book to the letter. Never happened! Far as I know that is THE ONLY thing that isnt operable in this car, and I don't have a clue where to start looking for a cause!

imho4(at)lycos.com

"John Horner" wrote in news:A9cUd.18345$uc.11645 @trnddc09:

IMO the GM oil life monitor is a pretty good system. > > If you want a little more safety margin, upgrade your oil from the basic > stuff to a full synthetic or even a good synthetic blend. > > If you want to talk oils, check out
> [...]
Reply to
The Juice

Shep

Is this one where you push the pedal to the floor? If so then a bad or misadjusted throttle position sensor can stop the light from being reset.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Yes it is Steve, and thanks for the suggestion, could you make it easy to locate that sensor? I assume it is a simple on or off switch checkable with an ohm-meter.

Steve B. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and

Followed

is

have

then a bad

from being

Reply to
The Juice

Reply to
Shep

Looked at the throttle linkage and saw nothing that looked like a sensor..............

Steve B. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and

Followed

is

have

then a bad

from being

Reply to
The Juice

On previous years it is connected to the side of the throtle body. I have only replaced adjusted them on Cadi's where the display on the dash lets you know when you have it adjusted right Sorry I can't offer any help on adjusting/replacing yours.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I would pick an interval that is less than the maximum recommended by the manufacturer and stick with it. Remember that the oil change interval chosen by a car manufacturer is in part influenced by how it effects the widely publicized annual-cost-to-maintain figure. Personally I change oil every 3,500 miles because I want to drive my car at least 300,000 miles.

Reply to
John S.

On my wife's car, the button is inside the glove compartment. It is labeled Oil Reset...Hold 5 Seconds

Reply to
<HLS

If you can't get it to reset any other way, maybe you could try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and see if it will force a reset condition when you power back up. The ECM will have to go through its little song and dance for a while, but that is not such a big deal.

Reply to
<HLS