battery replacement (Novice)

Hi, All:

I want to replace my battery myself. I can disconnect the cable from the negative terminal pole, but now I cannot see any bolt in the positive terminal pole (There is only a big red cap which is on the pole and connect to 2 red cables) What can I do? Also, I see a very long pole out of the battery tray, is it holddown bolt?

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
gouqizi.lvcha

Just a long-distance guess, but the red cap should pop off, and the pole out of the battery tray is likely a hold-down bolt. Be careful when removing the battery not to spill the acid on yourself (if it isn't a totally sealed battery).

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Rick, your questions scare me. It's a battery. A positive and a negative liead come out of either the top or side of the battery. Sometimes they do put a rubber cap on top of the terminals so people will not short them accidently. Take the negative wire off first to protect yourself from accidently grounding a tool while taking the positive wire off. (This assumes that the car has a negative ground as most do.) Safety is a good starting point. Wear safety protection for your eyes at least until you learn more about the risks.

Reply to
Al Bundy

i suggest you have a buddy come over and help. altho it sounds as if your intentions are good, you exhibit such a lack of knowledge that i would hesitate to give you a clue. get help. learn a bit more. you're on the right track. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

You better get help. One mistake and you could seriously injure yourself or your vehicle.

Reply to
« Paul »

I agree with the other replies that you should get direct help from someone with more knowledge. If you insist on doing it by yourself make sure you disconnect the negative cable before you do anything else.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart