Re: quick poll - american cars

Those could be the fuel injectors. Wife's 90 Beretta has 150k miles and the injectors clatter like a diesel. And yes, the exhaust note is horrific. Damn car's like a cockroach tho - nothing short of dynamite will kill it.

Ray

Reply to
ray

I know the sound well, from watching/hearing family members accelerate away from the house. I would think, "My car sounds like that!?" You'll never hear it behind the wheel though. And you won't hear it anywhere at cruise or idling. Only under load. As you say, it was the stock exhaust system design. My son put an aftermarket glass-pak type muffler on his 3.1 Corsica. After he converted it from the auto to a 5-speed Getrag. Totally different sound. But you'll never make a 3.1 sound like a high lift cam 352.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I was always a big fan of the chambered pipe as used on the Vettes and Chevelles in the '60s as depicted here:

Snuckfoe

What about wild women?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

While the exhaust note is most prominent nearest the outlet, and directly behind it, the sound permeates the surrounding vicinity (to the chagrin of many).

Statistics clearly demonstrate that the highest prevalence of incidents with "cages" occur in residential areas, parking lots and other surface streets. Even with all the windows closed, the A/C at full song, the stereo blaring and screaming kids in the back, a driver is more likely to notice a large scooter with loud pipes in his or her proximity than otherwise.

Nah, although it may well be a concern for others (re: "stylers"), I've never been insecure enough to desire to impress total strangers by the vehicle I'm driving.

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Only if it has something to reflect off of. Simple physics. In the city, it reflects, in the country, not.

I don't disagree with the accident statistics, but I do disagree that the noise helps except in rare cases.

Besides, it's the equivalent of running with the horn button taped down just to let people know you are there. Neither should be allowed by law.

Reply to
me