2003 Toyota 4-Runner V6 questions

I bought a new 4-Runner V6 a couple of weeks ago and already put 3500 miles on it.

On one of the forums someone was saying they read that the new 4-Runners were supposed to use premium fuel? I looked through the owners manual and couldn't find anything about this, and I've used regular since I bought it with no problems.

Also, the suggested maintenance in the manual is either 5000 or 75000 increments depending on conditions. I've always changes my oil and filter at about every 3000-4000 miles, do you guys think it's safe to follow the maintenance schedule? I would like to keep this truck a long time.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack Dotson

tacoma

I too bought the v6 SE and use 87 octane regular. Can't say I'm overwelmed by the power - despite upgrading from a '90

22RE 5spd Runner. Damn I wish they hadn't dropped the 5 spd manual. Even with low miles on it I'm getting 19-20 on road trips. I suspect with Premium you'd get more power and better mpg. Thats one thing nice about computer managed fuel delivery --- higher test fuel isn't wasted and the engine compensates for lower grades. Does yours sound like it has exhaust leak with front windows slightly open? Suspect its the tubular headers vice old cast iron headers. Wonder how long those Dunlop tires will last?
Reply to
Wolfgang

Having owned a couple of cars with headers ('32 Ford 5-Window Coupe with a small-block CHevy, and a '66 SS 396 Chevelle), I can tell you that tube headers and headpipes that split right at the manifold, like my '88 pickup with a 22R, make a "tinny" kind of sound at and just off idle. Above that, it isn't so noticable. Personally, I like the sound... :>))

TOM

-----------------

Reply to
TOM

Ouch those Micheline's are like $182 each (mine are

265/65x17 on the SE) at CostCo (same price for the Michelin Pilots) --- how did you swing getting the dealer to swap them out. I can almost see the rubber wearing away --- and there isn't a whole lot tile the wear indicators.
Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Bill

I'm on hold with them now!

Reply to
Bob H

FOLLOWUP: Toyota dealership will call within three business days. Toy HQ will be apprised of the complaint.

Reply to
Bob H

I bought my 4-Runner a few weeks ago and I have the Dunlop tires on mine. I took it on a 3500 mile vacation and never noticed any problems. I've also rolled the windows down and don't hear the tapping sound. Where are you hearing the tapping? From inside the car or do you have to be outside? Also, does it occur during idle or only when the engine is revved? How about the Dunlop's, what are the problems folks are experiencing with these?

Now that I hear the conversation about the Dunlop's I'm a little curious. You see my dealer included a an extended tire warranty with my mile plus that I paid for. He mentioned that the warranty was good for a complete tire replacement, even just for wear during the warranty period. I'll have to check the period, but it was for quite a long time. He told me that I basically would get one free set of tires out of the deal? I'll look the exact info up when I get time and pass it on.

Reply to
Jack Dotson