Re: Why Won't My Prizm Start

If the battery warning light came on, then likely you have some problem with the charging system, like a bad alternator. If you keep driving with the charging system not working, the battery will eventually discharge, and may not have enough power to start the vehicle, or even to keep it running.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Hello,

brake lights come on.

When the alternator's output is less than ~14V, it will turn on both the brake and battery light (don't ask why). You most likely have a Nippon Denso alternator in it now. It's pretty much bulletproof.

If you can start the car somehow, measure the voltage at the battery. It should be around 14V; turning on accessories will raise it a bit. If that's not the case, then most likely there's an issue with the alternator. With good 'ole ND alternators, brushes are usually the only thing to go out.

Also, make sure the battery posts are clean and the connections are tight. There's also a block right on the positive battery cable with fusible links inside. Check them for continuity as a broken link for the alt. circuit would cause it not to charge the battery.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

I had a Toyota that the brake and charge light would come on for a sec when I hit a bump. It then would come on for no apparent reason and go back out. By accident , I discovered that when it came on, I could kick the fuse panel door at my left kick panel and it would go out. I looked at the charge fuse and found one side of the fuse clip was loose. I attempted to tighten it and it broke off. I can't remember how I repaired it. I think I wedged a piece of vacuum hose against it to hold it against the other side. You may want to check into the charge fuse at the fusebox. It may just be the fuse

Reply to
Akacguy6161

PS If the fuse is blown, you may want to consider why it is blown. Also see if the belt is tight. Check the basics first.

Reply to
Akacguy6161