Cleaning Pistons

Hello all,

I know I've seen this info before, but I'm going to post again anyway.

1980 Honda Accord, pulled the head because I was burning oil and the compression tests came back pretty good. I figured that the oil must be coming in through the top end. The top of the head (where the rockers and cam are) is completely covered in black gooey varnish. I'm taking the head to a local shop to be reconditioned. But, for my block surface and the pistons and their crowns, what's the best way to clean all that up (don't have the engine entirely apart, just the head) and limited tools/compressed air access (i.e. walnut shells are out...)

1) I want to stay away from abrasive that are going to leave any residue sand, glass, shot, etc. (i.e. I don't want to take the engine block apart).

2) chemical stuff is okay.

3) should I just clean the head and have the rest professionally cleaned with one of those snap-on motor vac type treatments?

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Sam

Reply to
Sami Cirpili