rebuilt engine, one month later severe knock

a fairly typical V6 engine rebuild, used all new internal parts, heads machined at shop which has done hundreds of heads for me in the past.

within the first month, did 2 oil changes with new filters(at 50 and 500 miles) and analyzed oil with great results (no residue, no metallic, just pure oil)

now, customer calls me (it's been about 600 miles driven since assembly) with severe knocking sound from passenger side valve cover upon startup.

I'm thinking broken valve stem or rocker-arm assembly failed but have to of course see when I take it apart (have not seen engine yet)

any other ideas?

Reply to
Joe

Collapsed lifter?

Reply to
John S.

About the only things it could be IF it is truly from the valve cover.

Unless a plug failed and the knock is actually compression blowing out the plug hole.

Reply to
Steve W.

Older Buick? Check fuel pump pivot. Had one that sounded just like a rod knock.

Steve Walker

Reply to
Steve Walker

Get one of those stethoscopes like doctors use.Be care of moving engine parts.You might be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Does this customer have a teenager driving the car?

Reply to
<HLS