CEL flashing, VSC OFF!!!

Hi, Yesterday I went to Autozone to read codes, and I've got ''the PCM has determined that multiple random misfires have occured in cylinder #2, #3, #4 and Troubleshooting PO300, PO302, PO303, PO304.'' What does that mean? How expensive is to repair them? Just recently I've replaced the 02sensor, the mass air flow meter and the air filter.

1999 LEXUS ES300, 108.000 ml Thank you much! PS My English is not very great, so sorry for my not-very-detailed-message.
Reply to
Dina

Hi, Yesterday I went to Autozone to read codes, and I've got ''the PCM has determined that multiple random misfires have occured in cylinder #2, #3, #4 and Troubleshooting PO300, PO302, PO303, PO304.'' What does that mean? How expensive is to repair them? Just recently I've replaced the 02sensor, the mass air flow meter and the air filter.

1999 LEXUS ES300, 108.000 ml Thank you much! PS My English is not very great, so sorry for my not-very-detailed-message.
Reply to
Dina

It is telling you cylinders 2-3 4 are miss firing. How are the spark plugs and wire/coils. Good hot blue spark to the cylinders that are miss firing? Cylinders 3-4 use the same coil. Is it dead? Can you feel engine miss. when driving?

Reply to
MT-2500

It means just that. A bunch of different cylinders are occasionally misfiring. This would indicate something that is common to all cylinders being the problem. How expensive it is depends on what is causing the problem.

Now, what codes are you NOT getting? Sometimes the codes that aren't coming up are as important as those that are.

Why did you replace these? What led you to think they were problems?

I suggest measuring the fuel pressure, looking at the plugs, and checking the timing with a timing light.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Whoa! I have no idea!!! I was driving home, and suddenly my car stated to shaking, especially on the stop lights and when I used the brake. After a while on the display the CEL started flushing. Now, I'm trying to find a good mechanic, who will repair all that staff for reasonable price. Do you think, is it save to drive to the dealership or I'll need the service? The Autozone guy said that I will need to change the plugs, the battrey and he said something about coil. Actually, he wasn't sure about what I'll need to do :(

I've just move to another city, I don't know anyone who could help! Thank you...

Reply to
Dina

First of all, I'm sorry I have same thread twice, my computer was disconnected. Why I replaced them, because I had CEL on before. I went to dealership and they suggested to replace them, after what the CEL turned off. But for very short time (1-2 weeks) I have no idea what codes I didn't get. He gave me just 4 receiptes with description. That's all what I have. Thank you for your answer!

Reply to
Dina

Dina, It can be very expensive to try to repair a problem by changing parts. You need to have someone actually test the system and find out what is wrong.

Maybe the dealership fixed it for a while, but it has failed again, and it could either be the same problem, or a very different one.

The dealership should guarantee their work for a time. Maybe you should go back to them and discuss it with them...

If you cannot get satisfaction, locate a very good and dependable independent mechanic in your area. The AAA website has a list of mechanics that they believe are good and honest.

It is impossible to diagnose something like this without seeing the car. Everyone can make suggestions, but as I said above, changing parts without knowing exactly what has failed is a very unhappy and expensive way to do it.

Reply to
<HLS

Dina, I can't diagnose this for you from a computer, but I can tell you that a flashing CEL is your car's way of telling you that your engine is misfiring severely (currently). Misfiring will cause the shaking feeling you noted, plus a loss of power and fuel efficiency. It will also damage your expensive catalytic converters if you let it go on long enough. The 1999 Lexus ES300 has three converters, and believe me when I tell you they are expensive.

You do need to have a moderately competent mechanic perform a diagnosis of your misfiring condition. I would expect you to pay about $50 to $120 for this service depending on where you live. A competent mechanic (not a parts store employee or just any old neighbor) will tell you what you need to fix the vehicle after their diagnosis is complete. Try and avoid the large or national "chain" auto repair/tire dealer type stores. I would suggest asking friends and coworkers for recommendations to a trusted independent or dealership facility, perhaps even the name of a trusted mechanic that works at one of these places. Be prepared to spend a bit of wise money now, or put off this problem and pay a lot of foolish money later.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

[...]

Yes.

No conventional wires on this engine, but each coil has an insulated boot that could fail. The boot is not available seperately from the coil, however.

It doesn't sound like the OP is in a position to check these things, but I could be wrong.

This version of 1MZ-FE engine was put into use on the Lexus ES300 starting in 1999MY, and it does not have a waste spark ignition system. The 1999-up ES300 has 6 individual coils. Toyota never used a 3/4 coil on any V engine. If this were the older 1MZ-FE the coils would be

1/4, 2/5, and 3/6, with each of three physical coils mounted over their respective even-numbered cylinders (on the front bank).

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Ok I punched GS instead of ES. The GS does show 3-4 on same coil.

MT-2500

Vacuum leak? One of the things in her post was that the shake was worse when stopped at a light OR using the brake. Maybe a bad vac. assist diaphragm?

Reply to
Steve W.

Thank you so much! I just called to the dealership where I did replace the air flow meter and etc. and asked if they have anyone here who they'll recommend, but unfortunatelly they didn't just saying that is better to go to the Toyota or Lexus dealership. Last time I went to the Lexus dealership for second opinion, just asked them to see if I need some parts to replace and ended up to pay $80 (it wasn't diagnostics) So, I would rather to go to the independent store, than to those big dealership with plasma tvs and free breakfast. I won't able to repair my car for some time (a week?), is it safe to keep it outside for a while? Or I'll need to fix it immediately? Thank you guys again. . PS I'm sorry I can't answer all that specific questions about plugs and individual coils. I won't understand them even on Russian. You know, it's one of the women things...

Reply to
Dina

Inline 6.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I would fix it as soon as you can afford to. I would find a quality repair shop and get the diagnosis performed very soon, if nothing else. Then you will know the repair cost. Limit your driving until the misfire is repaired.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

It could be a vacuum leak issue. Unfortunately with the misfire codes presented, there is nothing common only to #2,#3, and #4 on this engine. I would assume that something is causing all cylinders to misfire but only three are flagging due to the random nature of the misfire. It really could be almost anything at this point without some further info/testing. I might suspect an EGR valve sticking open from the symptoms, if, y'know, this engine *had* an EGR valve :)

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Dina, this is the AAA page for Texas where you can look for 'approved' mechanics or garages. If you live in another state in the USA, try to find the appropriate site for that state.

I have found these AAA approved sites to generally be competent and reliable.

Just selecting some dealership or independent shop and hoping it is good can be a bad choice.

Reply to
<HLS

Dina, I had an experience just last night with a good example for you.

The lady who sits with my wife's aging parents had had problems with her

2003 Hyundai Sonata. Needed CV axle replacement.

This lady, who did not know much about cars, took it to ***good old reliable WalMart**

They told her that these axles were dealership only, and would cost her US$500 EACH SIDE, for a total of $1000 plus labor.

I found them within seconds for $82.95 each.

Never assume anything.

Reply to
<HLS

Thank you so much for giving that link! I've found really close to me stores. I have another dumb question: When I replaced the air flow meter etc. they did the dignostics, do I have to do it again? If I go to the local Toyota dealership could they check my previous diagnostics even if it was in the another city? The diagnostics prices are fix or its depend to the location and the store? Thank you guys for your patience :)

Reply to
Dina via CarKB.com

Since a problem has returned that a garage had worked on before, no matter where you take it, they will have to run diagnostics again. The problem may be different this time.

The prices vary with the garage, with the place you live, etc...Usually big city garages are more expensive than in small towns, but that is not guaranteed. Ask rates before you let them work on the car. Take your paperwork with you from the last job, in case it might give the mechanic a clue as to what was done and why the repair failed.

I like independent garages because I can get to know the mechanic who is working on my car and communicate directly with him. Dealerships usually assign your car to someone who is available and who does not know the history. If this happens, they may try the same repairs that were tried before without success.

Let me know if I can help.

Reply to
<HLS