Recommended Spraying Conditions

What paint are you using?

Here's conditions for Daimont base coat. It notes temperatures, but not humidity.

Generally, it's more temperature you're concerned with, and to make sure you have the correct reducer for the temp range you're spraying in.

I would probably wait a little longer until humidity get to

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

My '89 Civic project is almost ready to paint, but I've been putting it off because of a prolonged period of humid weather. The humidity typically stays around 70-90%, and seldom goes below 50%. How low does the humidity have to be before I can apply primer, base, and clear coat without getting fisheyes or other problems? This car is now sitting in someone elses garage, and I don't want to tie up his space any longer than I have to.

Reply to
Chris F.

Humidity under 60%? Outdoors? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nate (just outside DC)

Reply to
N8N

Man, that's brutal. It's 9% here now (Phoenix area). But it's cooling down to a little > 100F...been 110+ for the past few weeks...

Reply to
M.M.

you can say "but it's a dry heat" all you want, but I still won't believe that the low-altitude areas of Arizona were ever intended to be inhabited by humans.

nate

(of course, it's supposed to be almost 100 degrees *and* humid here tomorrow, so one could say the same about Our Nation's First Swamp.)

Reply to
N8N

Well, you get used to it to a certain extent. 100 isn't bad if the humidity is low (

Reply to
M.M.

Hmmm. Quebec? Nova Scotia? Or, are you a dreaded Newfie?!?!? ;)

I'm a few hundred miles away in Mass, and the humidity the last couple days has been nothing. Maybe it will work it's way up to where you're at in a day or two and you'll get a chance.

I know we used to paint cars in hot, steamy weather. That was back in the days when Enamel was the standard and Urethanes were *new*!!

Temperature is the big thing, and having the right reducer. You want ot make sure the reducer is right for the temperature when you spray so the flash off timing is right and you're not letting the paint harden too much or too litle before the next coat.

Um, did you ever say what kind of paint you were using?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Reply to
Chris F.

Depends on the paint and its drying rate. Lacquer is very sensitive to humidity. When (real, not acrylic) lacquer dries, the solvent evaporation cools the surface, and in very high humidity you get blushing (white, rough deposits). With catalysing paints the surface actually heats, so these are not so humidity sensitive. Even for lacquer I would guess that 70 is okay, but I would not paint real lacquers at much above that (80-100% would be bad).

Real enamels are much less sensitive (but be sure to keep area clean and dust free with those.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Reply to
Chris F.

I am certainly missing snow and ice right now... the weather dudes were right, yesterday and today feel much like sticking your head in a gas oven.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Hmmm. Which brand? Canadian Tire special? ;)

Actually, a urethane might be better in humidity. BC/CC are actually a polyesther base. You should be OK, and again I would stress watching the temp and using the right reducer.

Like the other guy said, Lacquers are more prone to humidity.

Did I tell you to check the dodge group for a guy named 'refinish king'? He has more experience then I.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Where are you at?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Man, please.....I respect you, but dont say "Where are you AT?". That is terrible English. It is almost as bad as saying "If he would have done it.".

You can correct my Japanese anytime.

Reply to
hls

anata-wa, doko ni imasu-ka?

Reply to
AMuzi

The reason I was so magnanimous is that I don't speak Japanese,and he would never get the chance.

I speak English, Norwegian, German, Portuguese and Spanish, and am easy to catch in an error in any of those languages ;>)

Reply to
hls

What'd he say?!?!?

Contrary to popular belief, and as this particular poster may be able to tell you, Hachiroku means 8 6. Why 8 6?

Definition #1 is correct.

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

just outside of DC. not sure what the exact high was today, but it was in the high 90's. After a certain point you stop sensing fine changes in temperature, it's just f***ing hot.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Outside DC. You have my sympathy!

VA, MD or...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

you live in a desert! You live in a *%$^( desert ! ahh! AHHHHH!. eh, just remembering Sammy.

I am certainly missing snow and ice right now... the weather dudes were right, yesterday and today feel much like sticking your head in a gas oven.

nate

Reply to
ed