Reimbursement.

Really?!?!

Who would have guessd the dealers would be left holding their asses?!?!? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I saw an article at Fox news, Some auto dealers are still awaiting reimbursement from uncle sam despite refuled clunkers. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The way I heard it is that the gov't 'approval' for transactions is still pending. The dealers that went ahead and took a clunker trade-in might have to eat the $4500 if the feds say that the trade-in doesn't qualify. Most dealers haven't put language in their contacts to recover that money from the customers.

I hope the dealers are parking these trade-ins in a lot someplace and will tell the feds, "We'll seize the engines upon reciept of $4500. Or it goes to the used car lot."

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com:

So they took on debt without bothering to forsee the consequences or conditions to remove it. Same old same old.

Reply to
fred

and
covers a LOT of the questions folks seem to have.

The biggest problem with this crappy program is that the Feds keep changing the rules. The latest change is that you can now ORDER a non stocked vehicle. Up until yesterday you could only get dealer stock.

One dealer rep I spoke to this morning says they will NOT participate in the program as it currently has NO protection that the dealers will get the money.

I wonder how many folks bother to look up the trade in value on the vehicle before opting into the program? Or even asking what the dealer would give them prior to looking at anything on the lot.

Reply to
Steve W.

When the government buys from us it usually takes 90 days to get our payment so I'm not surprised.

Reply to
CEG

Did fox news actually say something unflattering about the current administration? Wow.....

Reply to
ben91932

A few minutes ago, I saw on tv news about an auto dealer in Florida has somebody driving a monster truck across the top of a bunch of clunkers.The tv news woman said the auto dealership guy said he will put on another show like that. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I could cry when I see some the 'death row' pictures in the papers. Some of the vehicles being killed look pretty damn good to me. What a waste, both of my taxes, and for the environment. Couldn't they at least give the halfway-decent ones to one of those 'wheels for work' programs, or have a linked program where people driving even crappier cars (and can't afford a new one) could upgrade one-for-one, so the body count for the 'evil' cars is the same?

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm with you, it's such a waste to just crush the good ones. I like your idea about wheels for work

Reply to
anniejrs

Simply put, No, they couldn't. Destroying things is what government knows how to do, they wouldn't know how to keep the cars from turning into paperweights even if there was a desire to put them to use instead of wasting the resources that went into building them.

With fewer used vehicles for sale prices will increase and poorer people will be out of the market. They won't drive. This is part of the point of depression economic intervention, keep the depression going by doing things to prevent prices from falling. More depression brings more government growth. If they decide they want a certain group to drive they'll just tax the rest of us more so that we can be out-bid for cars and the prices will be driven further upwards. It worked so well for housing....

Reply to
Brent

Brent wrote in news:h6e8h9$41f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

More evidence that I think this is more to appease the republicans than to do anything for the economy.

Reply to
fred