Clunker motors are being self-destructed

I only caught the tail-end of some little TV news item (don't know which organization) that was showing how the destruction of the motors (which appeared to be perfectly good running) in the cars collected in the clunker program was done. The motor oil was drained out, and then a liquid solution was added at the oil-filler hole. The motors were then started, and allowed to run until they just suddenly stopped (seized). They alluded to the solution as being some liquid with glass(?) in it.

What a waste if the "clunker" motors were good before the destruction.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

There's no tastier mint than a gov'mint.

It's absurd, and it's already being questioned by sensible people -- even those on the Left.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

There are a lot of stupid things going on in this government.

The solution you refer to may be based on sodium silicate ("water glass"). It is a common surfactant "builder", has high pH, very common in washing products.

Reply to
hls

that solutions makes sure you can't sell any of the motor parts. It's called ultra seize or something like that . We can get it at my work.

Reply to
CEG

At the end of World War Two, some Asians wanted U.S.fed govt to give them the Jeeps and Trucks and Generators and other engine powered equipment that were left over there.Instead, U.S.Military pushed a lot of that equipment into the water.The Asians pulled them out of the water and cleaned them up and used them. Push a good running World War Two Jeep into the water over here and I will yank it out and take it apart and clean it up and use it too! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The idea is to get these cars *off* the road!

You have to remember they are just as much, or even more, for 'environmentally friendly' automobiles as for stimulating the economy. They are also under 'control' of envirinmental groups like the Sierra Club, so the idea is to get low efficiency vehicles off the road.

It is also their big chance to scrap a few SUVs, the true target of the program.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

You guys need to go to alt.autos.toyota. We talk about stuff like that there.

Sometimes, someone even mentions a car.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

They want to make sure these cars are off the road for good.

You think they would ket the dealers strip them for usable parts, but we're talking the gov't here.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I had assumed they were washing the oil out of the crankcase for environmental reasons before junking the engine. But, "water glass" would certainly cause one to seize.

Reply to
hls

Sodium Silicate solution AKA water glass. The only parts they are allowed to sell off the vehicles traded under this program are the transmissions, differentials for rear drives, and the transaxles for front drives. You MAY find a body panel or two IF you get there before they run them through the crusher/shredder but that isn't likely.

Reply to
Steve W.

Cars I have bought in the last 8 years:

1990 Nissan 240SX. Neat concept, horrible execution 1985 Toyta Celica GTS. Finally wore it out around 1996. 1983 Toyota Tercel AWD 6-speed wagon. Another one I wore out. Freebie 1994 Chrysler LHS. Nice car. Freebie 1995 Toyota Tercel. 44 MPG. Sold for 1988 Toyota Supra LHS traded for 2005 Scion tC (Ok, I do have ONE fairly new one...) 1989 Subaru Coupe, to keep the salt off the Scion 1989 Mazda 626, so the Scion doesn't go out in the rain 1997 Subaru Legacy wagon. BHG????
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

What Don Bruder said, I Agree 100 Percent.

The people who sell used engines and parts sure would like to get those engines and parts so they can sell them.Before fed govt destroys them, that is. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Cash for clunkers throws some into reverse.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

And they are ignoring the energy and resources consumed in the manufacturing process of a new vehicle. I doubt the replacement vehicles will ever save enough energy or resources to justify the early destruction of a perfectly useable vehicle. I suspect there are several million people out there that would like to have a vehicle as good as many of those being senslessly destroyed.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

They are stripped of usable parts but not by the dealer. The dealers take bids on them from wrecking yards. The wrecking yards have XX days to strip and sell the parts. Whatever isn't sold then gets sent to the shredder. So about all that won't get used as a used car part is the engine block and frame and other assorted large, low value parts. They rest will get used. It's all been dressed up as some environmental good idea but it's really just a way to jump start the auto biz and help them clear out the huge inventory of unsold cars they have sitting on lots. And in particular, the models that are hardest to sell, the ones with small engines and good gas mileage.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Excellent point.

And there are a lot of people who would like to have those cars.

I'm looking for a 92-95 Chrysler mini-van, and I'm sure a lot of them have been ruined by this program.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

How the hell can you sell anything from the drivetrain *after* it's been crushed?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

1) At the time of receiving a CARS trade-in vehicle, complete and deliver the signed Disposal Facility Certification Form to the dealer or salvage auction that transferred the trade-in vehicle assuring compliance with the following requirements.

a. The trade-in vehicle has not been, and will not be, sold, leased, exchanged or otherwise disposed of for use as an automobile in the United States or in any other country.

b. Not transfer the trade-in vehicle to another disposal facility prior to its crushing or shredding.

c. Not sell or transfer the trade-in vehicle?s engine block and drive train (unless with respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts) at any time prior to its crushing or shredding;

d. Properly remove and dispose of refrigerants, antifreeze, lead products, mercury switches, and such other toxic or hazardous vehicle components prior to the crushing or shredding of the trade-in vehicle, in accordance with all applicable Federal and State requirements under the supervision of the owner of the vehicle recycling firm;

e. Remove and return for proper disposal, all mercury switches in accordance with the procedures of the National Vehicle Mercury Switch Recovery Program (NVMSRP);

f. Crush or shred (or cause to be crushed or shredded on our premises), the trade-in vehicle within one hundred eighty (180) days after the above-listed date of receipt.

g. Report to NMVTIS that this facility crushed or shredded the trade-in vehicle not more than seven (7) days after the date of crushing or shredding.

  1. Disposal facilities MUST keep records of all transactions under the CARS Act and regulations there under for a period of five calendar years from the date on which they were generated or acquired by the manufacturer, salvage auction, dealer, or disposal facility, and shall promptly make those records available to NHTSA Enforcement or DOT?s Office of the Inspector General upon request.

The BIG gotcha with regard to pulling any parts off the vehicle is that you HAVE to sell those parts in the 180 day processing window for that vehicle. From the NHTSA site:

NHTSA requires CARS disposal facilities to crush or shred the trade-in vehicle onsite, including the engine block and the drive train (unless with respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, and rear end are sold separately), using its own machinery or a mobile crusher, within 180 days after receipt of the vehicle from the automobile dealer or salvage auction.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yesterday, I saw an article at fox news which said some auto dealers are still waiting on their cash for clunkers money from fed govt.There is something about that at

too.

Ask the new cars auto dealers in San Antonio if they have received their money from fed govt yet. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Hey I just posted the rules...

However the "interpretations" sections of the NHTSA rule says that the trans, or transaxle CAN be removed and sold as can other parts. BUT they have to be sold within the 180 day window which opens when the DEALER takes the vehicle in. So a yard cannot buy the car, strip the parts and put them on the shelf for as long as they wish. Once the 180 day limit hits ALL parts not sold off get shredded or crushed, that includes any pulls you have on the shelf!

Stupid, but thats the way the NHTSA wrote it up.

Reply to
Steve W.