removing a pulley?

What's the best method to remove a pulley? I have an '88 dodge shadow that I need to change the timing belt and I have to remove the crankshaft pulley.
I need some method to hold the pulley stationary as I'm trying to loosen the bolt.
Thanks, Emmet
1- air tools like an impact gun are best 2- a strap wrench around the pulley can work if you can find one with a long enuff strap 3- remove the starter and have someone try to hold the flywheel with a long bar in the ring gear 4- bring the engine up to TDC compression in reverse rotation on #1 cyl and remove the sparkplug from #4. Back the engine down 1/2 turn, and shove as much rope as you can in #4 (leave some hanging out so you can remove it later). Bring engine back up to TDC in reverse rotation or as close as you can. 5- get the impact gun and compressor even if you have to go to a service shop to get them to loosen the big bolt.

6- What works for me is to put my breaker bar on the nut, rest it on something (halfshaft in my case - 90 Corolla) and blip the starter a couple times. You hear a slight thud and then you can hear it break loose....beautiful sound!
I like the rope trick. I use it to torque the bolt. Was scared to try this at first because of the pressure on the head/piston/rod but then how much pressure is combustion putting on the aforementioned items? Helps to make sure valves are closed first.
And then there's issue of actually getting the pulley off. Mine practically fell in my hands. Sometimes there are threads in the pulley which allow you screw bolts into and yank it off that way.
My 2 pennies,
Tim

that
pulley.
the

You can use those same threaded holes to attach a length of angle iron, with holes drilled to match. Then the crank/pulley will only turn until the angle iron contacts the frame or suspension or other obstruction. Once it's solid you can remove the bolt.
#7. Turn to almost TDC then inject a couple ounces of heavy weight oil in the cylinder. Reinstall the plug and the crank will be locked via hydraulic pressure. When you're done just turn over the engine a few times to blow out the oil. (this is a variation of the rope method)

On 9 Jul 2003 09:30:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (davefr) wrote:
|#7. Turn to almost TDC then inject a couple ounces of heavy weight |oil in the cylinder. Reinstall the plug and the crank will be locked |via hydraulic pressure. When you're done just turn over the engine a |few times
AFTER plulling the spark plug again!
to blow out the oil.

Could you be a little more specific about the heavy weight oil? I'm guessing regular motor oil i.e. 10W40 wouldn't qualify?
Thanks, Emmet

couple
I have a 2-foot metal pipe that I slip over a socket wrench to loosen tough bolts. Is that what you mean by breaker bar? I could rest it on the ground, but I'm not sure if it would stay on the bolt though.
Thanks, Emmet

I'm
Thanks for the visual. I have one(handle not as long though) and used it mostly with the pipe after having the ratchet slip a few times. Experience is the best teacher I suppose :)
Rob

Always wanted one of those, since money's a little tight maybe I'll rent one. Any suggestions on what size compressor I'd need?

I might want to try this one first.

Don't want to take more off than I have to, so I'll pass on this one for now.

Okay, some really dumb questions to follow, but this is a learning experience for me:
a) How can I tell if #1 is at TDC(Top Dead Center)? b) reverse rotation is counter-clockwise? c) Is the reason for shoving rope into #4 is to prevent it's piston from moving? d) I assume that I'm rotating the engine through the pulley bolt, so as I'm engine back up to TDC in reverse rotation this is where I try to loosen the bolt?

It would have to it towed to-and-fro. A little expensive.
Thanks for all of these suggestions, Emmet
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:35:56 GMT, "Emmet Cummings"

With the plug removed from #1, put your thumb over the hole and turn the crank. You will feel air pressure as the timing marks align. If you turn the engine over several times, you will notice that on one alternating rotation the air pressure is much stronger that the other rotation. On this rotation, with the timing marks lined up, #1 should be at TDC. This could also be confirmed by removing the valve cover and checking that both valves for #1 are closed.

Yes. Except on some boats :)

Yes
If you are asking if turning the engine over backwards will loosen the bolt - NO. Turning the engine over backwards is however, usually a bad idea.

Thanks for the info.
wrote:>Okay, some really dumb questions to follow, but this is a learning

With the plug removed from #1, put your thumb over the hole and turn the crank. You will feel air pressure as the timing marks align. If you turn the engine over several times, you will notice that on one alternating rotation the air pressure is much stronger that the other rotation. On this rotation, with the timing marks lined up, #1 should be at TDC. This could also be confirmed by removing the valve cover and checking that both valves for #1 are closed.

Yes. Except on some boats :)

Yes
If you are asking if turning the engine over backwards will loosen the bolt - NO. Turning the engine over backwards is however, usually a bad idea.

Thanks all for responding. Kudos to a great group. One additional question: Do any of these suggestions change knowing that I'm replacing the head gasket? I've already loosened the head bolts because I heard that the bolts could be a big sticking point(pun intended).
Emmet
says...

What is holding the pulley in place? On my Dodge Omni with 2.2 motor there were 6, or 8 I forget, torx screws holding the pulley in place. I got the proper bit and just removed the screws to get the pulley off. ----------------- Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
That's interesting because I removed the five torx sockets and it didn't come off, so I thought I had to remove the bolt as well. Did you have any trouble getting the pulleys off after taking the screws out?
Emmet

that
pulley.
the