power steering sluggish

Hello, I have a '97 Buick Skylark. The power steering does not seem to provide enough assistance at very slow speeds; however, something strange happens: When I press the gas pedal, the power steering provides much more assistance. This has nothing to do with speed, as this phenomenon also happens when I press the gas in neutral--the steering gets easier. Anyone know why?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Novotny

The reason behind that is simple - The power steering pump is a belt driven device and when you rev the engine, regadless of whether the transmisssion is in gear or not, the pump will move a higher volume of fluid and allow you to steer easier.

You could have a few things wrong. Bad belt that is slipping at idle, a power steering pump that is failing, or you are simply low on power steering fluid.

Start by checking the fluid.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis