replacing timing belt tension pulley on 1999 dodge neon

On one of the older cars I have, a 1999 dodge neon (dohc), the timing belt needs to be replaced. Also, the timing belt pulley (I think it's also called an idler pulley) broke apart. Well, the bearings did, anyway.

I went to some of the local auto parts stores (advanced, autozone, etc) and was looking for a replacement for the timing belt pulley.

Advanced had a part that cost $29.99, but when I took a look at it, I noticed that it would not bolt into the bracket.

They have the pulley and the bracket, but that has to be special ordered and costs $128.

My question is, are the bearings pressed into the pulley? I don't see why they simply don't sell the pulley with everything already pressed in, and then it can be bolted into the bracket.

Reply to
tysteel

Since they sell the bearing, or whatever, separately from the bracket, it would seem to suggest that it is replaceable. Cant say without seeing it.

Are you sure that the old bearing cannot be pressed off, or pulled off with a bearing puller?

Reply to
hls