Vectra gearbox - hole in housing

Was turning right, heard loud bang. Thought it was a tyre so I stopped but all seemed fine.

Drove home, had a look under the bonnet, saw a large-ish hole in the gearbox housing just above the diff. Found a bit of gearbox housing on the steering gaiters.

Lots of red oil everywhere.

Seems this is a common problem on Vectras. I have 103K miles on the clock. Car is a 1.8 1998 petrol.

Guess I'll be looking for a new or recon gearbox real soon, probably a new clutch as well. Anything else I should do while I'm at it.

Anybody know what could have caused this? Was it just age/miles , or stress, or are Vectra gearboxes prone to this failure mode?

Just what exactly happened to make the housing crack like that?

Car seems to drive fine, but guess it won't last long with no gear oil.

Gerryo

Reply to
gerryo

On a 1998 Vectra? Yeah, scrap it, surely, with that much damage.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

why? if it is reliable and you can get a good cheap box s/h and you can do the work your self or even get someone to fit it whilst changing the clutch, then get it repaired, better the devil you know than one you dont.

Reply to
bongo rule

It's got a new-ish cat + lambda, new crank + cam sensors.

Timing belt + water pump changed 25K miles back.

Was going fine until this happened, was planning to keep it at least until 2008. If a recon gearbox + clutch is not more than =A3400 it might be worth doing.

However, it's been one thing after another , have spent approx. =A31100 in the past 4 years, don't want to throw more at it unless that's all it takes to put it right for a couple of years.

Gerryo

Reply to
gerryo

Because no-one has the right jig at home to do a Vectra box and clutch swap. Even if a new 'box could be sourced for next to nothing, the labour bill to fix it is going to be 'lots'.

Bodge with plastic metal filler, re-fill with oil and test drive. If it holds together for long enough, trade it for something else ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Well, I might consider this, but not to trade.

If the 'box is not damaged & it was possible to patch the hole with JB weld & a piece of aluminium, would it hold together for longer than a few weeks/months/years?

Guess it depends on the real reason the 'box blew up, did the casing just fracture or did one of the gears split.

I doubt a patch would withstand the torsion from the shafts.

Reply to
gerryo

I'd *only* part out something bodged like that to the trade. There's no way I'd stitch up a private buyer.

Reply to
SteveH

What I meant was, I'd consider repairing it this way, then drive it until it was time to be scrapped or sold for parts, not to be sold as "roadworthy" to any buyer, trade or private.

Did some searching on Google, JB weld seems to be highly recommended for this kind of repair, but it does seem a bit of a bodge, especially if the real reason for the casing failure is not eliminated or there is damage to gears.

Basically, I'd like to get back on the road until I find a permanent fix, either a 'box swap or new car.

Reply to
gerryo

And what would the trade then do with it?

Reply to
PC Paul

yes the labour would be a lot, unless he gets the clutch done at the same time, just tell them when he gets there that he would like them to replace the box with the other one when they reasemble it. it should cost no extra that way as they have to refit the box anyway.( cheap replacement labour costs)

Reply to
bongo rule

Exactly. up to the auction with it for Joe Punter to buy.

Reply to
gazzafield

I really can't imagine a hole appearing in a casing without some catastrophic internal failure. Do all the gears still work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*ding*

Something caused that hole to appear. Castings don't just suddenly explode.

A friend had a car that ate a few gearboxes in short order - always the same bit of the casing that cracked. Turned out that the front subframe was bent.

Reply to
Adrian

It will be scrapped! Spare parts, etc.

Having said that, I scrapped an old Cavalier back in the early 1990's (actually drove it to the scrappy) & saw it in the rear view mirror a few weeks later.

I scrapped it 'cos the engine had siezed & I just got it going again for a week or so until I got the replacement sorted. I really hope the new buyer did not pay too much, because from the sound of it, it was on borrowed time.

Reply to
gerryo

They would be unlikely to even look at it and auction it.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yes! Surprisingly they are all OK.

I'm now thinking there was some sort of torsional stress applied to the 'box & it cracked. If some bushing/bearing wore out, might be enough play introduced to stress the casing, especially during turns.

Reply to
gerryo

you said above the dif, My guess is a retaining pin/circlip/wotever on one of the dif cogs is loose and its rod has bashed the hole. Had it happen on octavia 1600.

n.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

What on earth have Vauxhall done to make a mere clutch swap impractical?

Reply to
dingbat

Something to do with front subframes and re-aligning them after splitting the box and lump.

Reply to
SteveH

Have they? You sure you're not getting confused with Fords where the 'tool' is only £20 anyway?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong