Rotten egg smell at idle

My 94 Lumina Euro 3.1 runs great. It just stinks when it idles. I have seen people say that it's the sulphur in gas. My wife uses the same gas, Hers doesn't do this. I have also read that it is an over rich condition. But I also recall a product long ago to clean the converter to get rid of the smell. What is the real deal ? I am going to put a new oxy sensor on it, thinking it couldn't hurt and may correct an over rich condition if that is the case. Thanks for any info

Reply to
TOLYN9

You're correct that sulfur in the fuel is involved.

For this sulfur to be released as hydrogen sulfide, a hydrogenation process is involved and this often means that the catalytic convertor is not functioning as it should (not up to temperature, degraded catalyst, etc) or an overly rich condition exists.

Some cars seem to do it more than others.

Reply to
HLS