scan tools, sensor readings?

(04 Cavalier) I have a Gore Proscan OBD2 interface module, which lets you display various sensor readings on a PC. Some of these (eg, rpm, TPS, ...) work fine. But, ...

(1) Some sensors, which I know the PCM reads (eg, fuel tank pressure), seem not available for display.

(2) Some sensors that the software shows as available (eg, fuel level) seem not to show any readings.

It could be me, though I'd be the last to know that.

I would appreciate any insight on the availability of sensor data on various scan tools. The vendor web sites seem to list the obvious ones, and conclude with "And more ...". Is it just a matter of how much you pay for the scan tool? ISTM, once you have the OBMD interface and user screens done, the effort to support additional sensors would be minimal. Would the PCM would hold back data the OBD? ...

Thanks

Reply to
George

It comes down to what the OEM allows and what the scan tool company decides to implement. There are differences even in the pro/dealer level tools.

In your case I know the OTC/SPX Genisys shows the info you're looking for. Not sure what PC units show with the exception of actual dealer level units. Ford IDS, GM MDI, Chryslers StarMobile will show far more than any generic units will.

Reply to
Steve W.

I googled your Gore thing, and for $129, it's doing what I would expect. The AutoEngenuity software I have for Windows was $1200.00 and will show all modules and all sensors. "Enhanced manufacturer support" costs a lot more than "Generic OBD-II" which it looks like you have.

Smoke machines are still $1000 last I looked too, which is essential for EVAP leaks you can't see with just a flashlight (broken hose e.g). GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You can buy a cheap smaller Halloween style smoke machine for $50 if your on the cheap...

bob

Reply to
bob

Great tip Bob.

I had an EVAP class instructor mention that once and forgot all about it. If anyone has done that, the step-by-step would be a great thread/page/video for the home-gamer.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Or even if "you're" on the cheap ...

Reply to
Brian Gordon

Tell me more. I have a friend who could really use a smoke machine, but doesn't have $1K to spend on new equipment at the moment. (and he's my friend, but I don't like him THAT much.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It isn't hard to make one using a glow plug and a good container. Basically the hardest trick is getting the smoke through the system without hurting anything, for that you need to regulate the air down a lot.

And for one that is SUPER cheap....

Steve W.