Which (economically priced) OBDII Scan Tool for occasional usage DIYer

These things seem to range in price from $30 to $3K! I have no idea where to begin and am looking for some reasonably priced recommendations. I figure I might use it once maybe every few years is all. I've got a 96 BMW currently that needs it. Late 90s GM would be another app I might likely have. Can't predict what future cars I may own beyond this.

Again I'm not looking for commercial quality (or price) - just a very occasional usage to match my Craftsman tool usage.

Thanks

Reply to
loadhawg

I would guess that pretty much any scan tool could "scan" an obd2 car. Sears has a decent selection of these. If all you want to do is see what codes your car has, even the cheapest should work. I should warn you, though, a lot of those things are fine for scanning "common" cars like GM, Ford, etc., but BMW could be a different story. This is true especially if you get one that reads some data that the sensors send out. Even then, as long as you're using the generic obd2 mode, you should be fine. 1996 was the first year that obd2 was required on all cars in US, but I've read that some manufacturers still weren't fully complied. Make sure your car has the proper hook-up.

Reply to
dsguy

You might look at

- there's quite a bitof info there.