Shell gas with "nitrogen"?

Shell is lately making a big foofaraw about their new "nitrogen enriched" gasolines.

Their Web site bumpf gives no details on exactly what the nitrogen compound is, probably because it's "patented".

Any guesses from the chemists among us what the magic potion is?

Reply to
Tegger

Nitromethane? Urea equus?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I dont think so. Nitromethane has its own hazards, and is not cheap.

I will research it, but I expect that the "nitrogen" is in the form of an amine, probably as a surfactant, to clean the system, etc etc.

In short, I think it is more smoke and mirrors.

Reply to
HLS

So you put a homeopathic amount in it, enough to be detectable but not enough to actually cost anything or do anything.

Of course, that's the urea equus part.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yeah, the Shell PR materials circa the rollout certainly, um, involved a substance of high nitrogen content. Strap on your hip boots and wade in, and you learn that they figured out how to add a nitrogen atom to one of the detergents, supposedly making it longer lived and thus better able to do its job on valves and injectors at combustion- chamber temperatures (this is supposed to become more important in a direct-injection future). I'd guess the proportion in gasoline to be therefore a fractional percent.

The detergent additive packages have to be specifically approved by the Environmental Protection Agency, so the information would be a matter of public record (how readily obtainable I know not). Presumably enough digging would also turn up a Materials Safety Data Sheet for the stuff.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Urea h*mo sapiens is the official engine coolant of Red Dawn.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Horse piss, maybe. Advertising crap, certainly.

Reply to
HLS

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:h2tv05$9np$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Is that what I'm smelling at the sprint car races? Horse piss?

If so, I must say it smells quite a lot better coming out of the car than it does coming out of the barn.

Reply to
Tegger

Toyota MDT in MO wrote in news:AAv4m.7250$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

I liked that movie.

When Lea Thompson fired the shotgun from the pickup truck, it looked to me as though they were actually using live ammo.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9C40C5627AE7Dtegger@208.90.168.18:

Ah, no. The sprints use methanol. I was thinking dragsters. Sorry.

Reply to
Tegger

How many different ways are there to sell soap?

ah..New and IMPROVED! contains mexatetramorphoethelpolyvalentdiamenophenol !!!

This is PFM (pure fvcking magic) and your hair will look YOUNG AGAIN!

This schtick has been going on since the days of Snake Oil salesman, and probably before. What if I told you that 60% of the air you breath IS nitrogen. All they have to do is aerate the s**te and they can claim it now has nitrogen in it.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

I liked it as camp. Too bad the Red Menace is all dried up. Good material for highlighting the absolute necessity of pick-ups loaded with shotguns and hunting rifles. But F-150 sales are still good, as are firearms sales. Must be new threats out there. Good to have threats I guess - keeps you on your toes. Only remember one line from the flick. Harry Dean Stanton shouted it to his kid after he visited him at the drive-in internment camp, talking through the fence. The kid (Swayze) was walking away to do battle with the commies, leaving his dad imprisoned behind the drive-in fence. Harry shouted to his kid, "Avenge me!" Maybe twice. "Avenge me!" "Avenge me!" Wonder if the commies ran some movies for the prisoners at nightfall. Hell, the screen was still up, wouldn't be a big deal. Don't know if the pole speakers were working though. Been meaning to watch that again.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Nicholas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That might work if I had hair.

But my hair has fallen off and taken root on my shoulders and on my back. It's not fun growing old.

It wasn't so long ago that Shell had to pay for all those warranty claims for corroded fuel level sensors...

Reply to
Tegger

It is camp, until something of this magnitude happens. Russia nor Cuba will invade this way Our problem is from the inside. And it is already here.

Reply to
HLS

I know what you mean. I'm a cyborg now because I had to have a computer wired into my heart to keep it beating correctly. Battery needs to be changed every 3-5 years so they say. But there is no replacement battery, so they give you an entirely new unit, at about $26,000 each.

Losing hair is one thing...losing your heartbeat is a whole nother thing. ;(

I long for a world where NEW AND IMPROVED! doesn't appear on detergent boxes anymore. At least I don't have to listen to those obnoxious OxyClean commercials anymore (RIP Billy Mays).

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Most people breathe 78% N2... even more embarrassing for snake oil science.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

See THERE !

Next year, they're planning on adding O2 to the mix !!! Imagine what THAT will do for your gas mileage and horsepower !

Reply to
Nicholas

It can only go up :-)

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Nicholas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Losing your hair to male pattern baldness is (sort of) amusing, but much of the other stuff about getting old is often not so amusing.

The next spokes-screamer might be worse. Maybe the ShamWow guy?

Reply to
Tegger

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

TOTAL camp. AWFUL dialog. That's part of what made it fun, like an Adam West/Burt Ward Batman TV-show episode.

Plus the fact that it made you want to go and get a gun to hold while you watched the rest of the movie.

Reply to
Tegger