Earthlink??

Anyone know what is wrong with Earthlink? I have 23,560 messages in this group from them, dating back to 2003, and Agent thinks they are all new, and is ready to fetch them all for me once more.

I wanted to reply to a 2003 joke by Lanny that was getting somewhat old, but I did something and it disappeared.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I recall hearing that Earthlink recently reset their email servers so the everyone got tons of old emails. Some email clients would recognize the old ones and not download them some wouldn't.

What are you using for email?

Reply to
XS11E

Oh, I remember that one. Here, have another go:

Pessimist: "This glass is half empty."

Optimist: "This glass is half full."

Engineer: "This glass is twice as large as it should be."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Me: "Now it's empty, hic!" "Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer"

Reply to
XS11E

What was the Dilbert one? Something about the glasses redundancy factor.

Ah well. It's evaporating as we speak...

miker

Reply to
miker

Mine did that as well. I wasn't getting email for a couple days, called in but was told "We are having an unusually large volume of calls and can't answer any more for a while" (thanks), and then found that they'd changed their email server name.

Somehow it's always progress that stops everything.

miker

Reply to
miker

Mutt. But I use Agent for newsgroups. What mystifies me is not that they reset numbers and Agent fetches them. What really mystifies me is why they are still there. As far as I understand newsgroups, older messages are purged. How come I can still fetch 4 year old jokes by Lanny?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

It's that Wayback Machine in your lab at FSU. Do you perchance have a grad student named Sherman?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

With the storage needed to keep up with the binary groups these days, it's nothing to keep messages in text groups for a very long time.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have subscriptions to several groups that currently show exactly 100000 messages each, which I suppose must be as high as TB/SM news can count.

I spent hours via web and phone dealing with Earthlink since mid-AM on 01 Aug about Usenet. As is common with big companies, the right hand had no idea what the left hand was up to. Eventually I got an email response with these bits of info:

We would like to inform you that EarthLink has updated the Newsgroup server as given below: news.east.earthlink.net - For customers living east of the Mississippi River. news.west.earthlink.net - For customers living west of the Mississippi River. nntp.earthlink.net - Available for any customer. once, you update your Newsgroup program then you should be able to access the Newsgroup servers.

I asked them for a pointer to where this information was to be found on their web site, and was ignored, more than once. It seems those of us who don't use Outhouse or Outbreak Excess for news are supposed to somehow extract what we need from their screenshots of configuration windows for the M$ junkware.

Reply to
Felix Miata

As an Outlook Depressed user, I would assume that info is posted in a newsgroup, where anyone who doesn't need it can get it.

miker

Reply to
miker

If you know how to mount firewire disks on Linux, can you e-mail me a clue? I am not even sure Linux sees them, though Windows does.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Because Lanny's jokes are timeless? Just a guess...

Reply to
XS11E

Hmmmm, don't know.

My ISP is Cox and I have a similar problem, Cox switched their newsgroups to Highwinds and ever since there have been problems with repeat messages in almost all newsgroups but the problem doesn't go back as far as yours, usually what people are seeing is everything is OK for a day or two and then every newsgroup will pop up messages from two or three days earlier, not all messages, just some of them. So far, there seems to be no fix and no explanation.

That's probably not related to your problem at all but who knows?

Reply to
XS11E

Just checked to see if my message got out OK and up popped a message from Grant Edwards dated Tuesday in the "How Noisy" thread.

See what I mean? Only one message out of several posted Tuesday, why, why, why?

Reply to
XS11E

Does fdisk -l show anything? If so, you ought to be able to just mount the firewire drive in the normal way, e.g. mount /dev/sdb1 /mountpoint where /dev/sdb1 is the device name and /mountpoint is an empty directory.

Depending on the version of linux you're using and also your computer, it's possible that the kernel does not properly recognise the firewire port. If that's the case, things become more difficult but not necessarily impossible.

Interesting that you're using mutt for mail (linux) but Agent for news (Windows). I'm using Pan on linux, which is similar in layout to Agent. At least what I remember of Agent. It's been a while.

FTR I'm using Ubuntu Edgy and Dapper at home, Redhat and Centos at work.

Reply to
Carbon

Fdisk is not there. Neither is "which" or "where" under bash, I find. However, sfdisk -l does not see any sdb devices, though it sees sdc devices if I plug in my USB thumb drive. The firewire is a Fujitsu portable PC port, BTW.

I installed Centos. Initially I was thinking of Ubunto, but someone at user services seemed to like Centos more.

At work we have operational Unix (SUN) stations, and I am using my PC mainly as a front end to them (Putty/Mix). At home, I use Windows, but not gladly. And with lots of the stupid "services" turned off. It gets worse with each generation and was never good to start with.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

At work we still have hundreds of Redhat 9.0 boxes. I'm trying to get the suits to agree to CentOS, since it's RHEL without the Redhat logos. But they seem suspicious of anything they do not have to pay licenses for. I run Ubuntu at home and it's also very high quality. But that might be an even harder sell than CentOS. The suits are leaning towards SLED 10, which crashes most impressively on our test boxes.

I'm typing this on an Ubuntu box. Linux took dedication ten years ago. Now everything ought to just work.

Reply to
Carbon