skipped timing belt symptoms?

I am wondering if a skipped timing belt can be advancing the spark. Before taking off the belt and pulleys to look I was wondering if there are any symptoms that would support or deny such a hypothesis? The idle speed and base timing look fine when checked with a tach/dwell meter and timing light yesterday. A vacuum guage needle is steady (no sign of missfiring).

Spark advance is also controlled on this car by distributor vacuum and weights, and by computer in closed loop mode.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Nope.

I think you have a vacuum leak.

Mike

"William R. Watt" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On a skipped tooth on a timing belt.. I think I'd expect to see a misfire, high hydrocarbons on an emissions test, maybe lower than std. compression readings.. If its an interference engine ... potentially engine damage.. Engines usually run really poorly if off even a tooth.

In terms of timing... First thing I'd look at: Leaking vacuum lines. Weights not sliding smoothly.. A temperature sensor or similiar not producing the desired vacuum, signal, etc to control the advance.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.