Electrical burning smell

I started my 95 Maxima today. 10 feet out of the driveway I smelled and electrical wire burning small and within 20 feet, there were wisps of smoke coming our from around the steering wheel, immediately behind separation between the turning part and the non-turning part.

Has anyone else experienced something such as this? Was it costly to fix?

I must admit, since I purchased the car used in 1998, I have smelled burning electrical wiring 3 times and seen just a wisp of smoke once. I had put it down to my imagination, but today things looked pretty obvious to myself and my kids. The smell was very strong this time too.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Check the hazards flasher, the unit that goes tick tock tick tock under the dash. When mine started to go, the tick tick pattern became un-even and eventually I actually saw some smoke because the ticker got stuck on the TICK, generating a large current and giving out a puff of smoke.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Looked under the dash, couldn't find anything.

Called the dealership and described the problem.

They recommended having it towed in, just in case a fire actually started or the Air Bag went off while driving.

Called CAA, same as AAA and they towed it in for free.

Dealership called back and said that some connectors and multiswitch hardware had to be replaced and parts were on order for install later this week.

Right now, they estimate parts and labour to in around $260.00 CAD.

It's a 95 Maxima with 234,000 KM.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins