Some questions regarding turbocharged/supercharged engines...

I have been doing some online research regarding turbocharged engines but could not find satisfactory answers. Maybe some ppl here can help me with my questions.

  1. Is it true to say that natural aspirated engines is more reliable than turbocharged/supercharged engines because NA engines contain less parts ?

  1. What are the advantages of NA engines over turbocharged/ supercharged engines. Or what are the disadvantages of tubocharged/ supercharged engines over NA engines...

  2. If I have a turbocharged/supercharged car, what are the things I must do or not do regularly to keep those engines in optimum condition...

Thank You.

Reply to
toyota58

The main reasons that turbocharged engines are sometimes less reliable than NA ones are that the BMEP, the average pressure in the cylinder is higher. This causes a higher loading on the crank journals and main bearings, and on the pistons. Second, more energy is being released in the same volume. Since not all that energy is converted to mechanical work, more heat is liberated in the same volumne.

If the engine is not originally designed for supercharging, then these mechanical and thermal loads create more stress that can shorten the life of the engine.

If, as in large truck, locomotive and ship diesels, the engine is designed from scratch for turbocharging, then the reliability is not a problem.

Even if the engine is designed for supercharging, if it is modified so that more boost is delivered to the intake than designed for, the reliability is again a problem. A good example is WW2 aircraft engines used in unlimited hydroplanes and air racing. The blower boost is VERY high compared to design values, and these engines do not last very long.

BTW, there is little difference in these effects between mechanical supercharging and turbocharging.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

What is a ppl? Polymorphic Programming Language maybe?

More power translates to greater wear on otherwise comparable engines. See disadvantages below.

More power.

More power translating into increased wear. Increased fuel consumption. Having another component that will require maintenance and eventuallly wear out.

As you would with any oither engine. Frequent oil changes, normal maintenance, fix problems as they occur and keep your foot off the floorboards. If you drive normally you should not notice the effect of increased wear. But with all that extra power underfoot it will be tempting to do otherwise.

Reply to
John S.