GM: Volt will get 25-50 miles on a battery charge

GM: Volt will get 25-50 miles on a battery charge

Jim_Higgins

What is the guaranteed range before the battery must be replaced?

Say the thing is 3 years old, no way will the range be the same with lithium batteries. So the important question is to ask, what is the minimum guaranteed range per kwh on full charge charge in?

I mean these are no good if you have to send in 1000 kwh to go 5 miles.

GM defined this yet?

Wonder if their estimates were measured down hill with a wind behind them on a 25C day.

Lets she how she does in 2" of snow at -5C and 3 year old batteries - LOL.

Reply to
Canuck57

I think the Toyota warranty on the Prius battery pack is 8 years/100,000 miles. I have not heard anything on what the GM Short Circuit (er, Volt) battery pack warranty is. It does have one-doesn't it?

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

don't condemn something that hasn't had a chance yet- nothing wrong with skeptism, but the electric car is an important alternative technology that needs to be developed.

Reply to
raamman

The driver will think he is driving much faster than he actually is and therefore drive slower. The distance will look much farther. The driver will seem to use half as much gas and therefore the car looks to be more efficient.

Privacy Statement for General Motors Company Effective September 1, 2010

Your privacy is important to General Motors Company (GM), as is your trust in GM products and services. We want you to know that the information you share with us will be treated with care. GM's Privacy Statement for U.S. Consumers lets you know how we handle personally identifiable information you share with GM through gm.com and certain other GM Websites (e.g., GMGoodwrench.com or Chevrolet.com); at events; on Business Reply Cards (BRCs) and sweepstakes entries; and through our customer call centers. It also applies to information about you and your vehicle we obtain from GM affiliates, GM dealers, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, GM credit card bank partners, and other sources such as those that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers, current owners, or potential cardholders. We have also included answers to frequently asked questions about features of GM vehicles that record and transmit data regarding vehicle functions. Some GM Websites have supplemental information on privacy, and others have their own privacy statements, which may be accessed at those Websites. (Click for details on the Scope of the Statement). The information you share with us may be used by GM, our affiliates, our licensees, and dealers. It may be used by our suppliers exclusively to provide services for GM, and by our business partners to conduct joint marketing programs with GM. It may also be shared in connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business. We will not share your personal information with third parties other than these for their independent use without your permission. For more information, please read GM's Privacy Statement for U.S. Consumers. For Frequently Asked Questions about privacy, please click here. For information about how to opt-out of being contacted by GM for marketing purposes click here. Scope This Privacy Statement explains how we handle personal information you share with GM businesses in the United States. We may obtain this information through GM vehicle-related consumer Websites (see table below); at events; on Business Reply Cards (BRCs) and sweepstakes entry forms; and through our customer call centers. It also applies to information about you and your vehicle GM obtains from GM affiliates, GM dealers, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, and other sources such as companies that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers, current owners, or cardholders. GM businesses covered by this Privacy Statement include: =BB Chevrolet =BB Buick =BB Pontiac =BB GMC =BB Saturn =BB HUMMER =BB Cadillac =BB Oldsmobile =BB ACDelco =BB GMGoodwrench =BB Certified Used Vehicles =BB GM Family First =BB GM Fleet =BB GM Cardmember Services =BB GM Supplier Discount =BB Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned =BB GM Dealer Employee Discount =BB GM Military Discount =BB GM College Discount =BB Credit Union Member Discount from GM =BB GM.com U.S. Automotive and Credit Card consumer pages on gm.com are covered by this Privacy Statement. The Education pages of GMobility at gm.com have their own privacy statements that address the pages of the Website directed at children. The Careers and Retiree Information sections of gm.com are not consumer sites and are not covered by this Privacy Statement. Other GM Websites and business units To provide services, some GM consumer Websites may request additional information or provide services not covered under this general statement. Please click on the links listed below to view the supplemental privacy information that should be read together with this Privacy Statement. Investor Information Saturn GM Cardmember Services Vehicle Purchase Programs Dealer Candidate Information Certain other GM, or GM-related, consumer Websites and services have their own privacy statements that can be viewed on their sites. These include OnStar and the GMAC family of businesses (GMACFS.com, GMACrelocation.com, GMACMortgage.com, GMACCF.com, GMACCM.com, GMACinsurance.com, GMACrealestate.com, GMACpolicy.com, GMACre.com, GMACbank.com) and XM Radio. For answers to questions regarding data recording devices and radio frequency identification devices (RFID) used in GM vehicles, see Frequently Asked Questions. Information Collection GM may obtain information about you and your vehicle in a number of ways: For example, our Websites, Business Reply Cards, sweepstakes entries, test-drive incentive applications, surveys, vehicle sales records, and other public sources. While you may use GM's Websites to learn about our products and services without disclosing any information about you or your vehicle, we may ask you to provide us with personal information including: contact information (name, address, city, state and Zip Code, e-mail address, and telephone number) vehicle information (vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, model year, selling dealer, date of purchase or lease, etc.) demographic information (age range, marital status, household composition, etc.) non-credit-related marketing profile information (when you plan to purchase or lease; the vehicle in which you're interested, etc.) relationships you have with GM not related to your vehicle (i.e., GM Card or OnStar) Business Reply Cards and sweepstakes entries you complete at an event or in response to a marketing mailing we send may also ask you to answer some of these same questions so we can tailor what we send to you to your specific interests. In limited circumstances, you may be asked to provide GM with your social security number. For example, if you win a sweepstakes or receive compensation from GM, GM is required to include your social security number on government tax forms. GM maintains technical, administrative, and physical safeguards designed to protect the confidentiality of your social security number, and to prohibit the unlawful disclosure of and restrict access to this information. In addition, our GM affiliates, GM dealers, GM merchandise licensees, and other sources such as those that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers or current owners may give the information they have regarding you or your vehicle to us so that we may serve your needs better. Uses Information about you or your vehicle may be used to respond to your requests for product brochures, to customize and improve communication content, or for marketing or product research. It may also be used to provide you with helpful offers and information on GM products and services. We may share information about you and your vehicle within GM, with our affiliates, and with our dealers. GM may also share personal information collected with our suppliers for the exclusive purpose of providing services for us (for example, mailing information in response to your request for a vehicle brochure) and with our business partners to conduct joint marketing programs with GM. It may also be shared in connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business. Information regarding your GM Card will not be shared with GM dealers. GM will not share information about you or your vehicle with other third parties for their independent use without your permission. You may choose to forward information from one of our Websites or e- mails to another person. E-mail addresses submitted to our E-card or other Forward to a Friend program will not be captured for later use in marketing unless that person consents. We may disclose information about you or your vehicle as required by law, in conjunction with a government inquiry, or in litigation or dispute resolution. Cookies and Other Tracking Devices We may use cookies and other tracking devices on our Websites. Using cookies on our sites provides benefits to you, such as allowing you to maintain your account login information between visits, or locating a nearby dealer. The use of cookies also allows us to measure site activity to provide a better user experience. Cookies and other tracking devices may be used to tell us the time and length of your visit, the pages you look at on our site, the site you visited just before coming to ours, and the name of your Internet service provider. We may use third parties to serve GM advertisements on other Websites. In serving GM advertisements, these companies may use cookies and other tracking devices to collect certain information about your visits to other Websites (such as browser type, IP address, which page was visited, and time of day). This information may be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns or to tailor promotions and other marketing messages to you. You may elect to refuse cookies. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and how to manage their use. Outside Links GM.com may contain links to third-party sites not controlled by GM or covered by this privacy statement, such as those belonging to GM dealers, GM licensees, or independent product review sites. We recommend that you check the privacy statement of other sites you visit before providing any personal information. Generally, we will tell you as you leave our site that another site's privacy statement applies to any data you share on that site. Information Security GM recognizes the importance of safeguarding consumer personal information in GM's possession from theft, inappropriate use, or improper distribution. GM has security policies and procedures appropriate to the level of confidentiality of that data. Our suppliers have signed agreements to protect and use your data according to our requirements. It should, however, be recognized that no company can perfectly protect personal information. Privacy Inquiries If you have concerns or questions regarding GM's consumer privacy practices, please refer to the frequently asked questions that follow, or you may contact us at 1-866-MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482). California residents click for more information on Your California Privacy Rights. Changes We retain the right to change this Privacy Statement. We will post changes to this page in a timely manner. This statement is effective as of 9/1/2010. Supplemental Privacy Information This information supplements the information provided in the GM Privacy Statement for U.S. Consumers. Investor Information Collection - On the Investor Information Website we may collect your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. GM may also receive personal information you provide to GM Stockholder Services through e- mail, written communications, or telephone calls, and from our stock transfer agent, such as account information. Uses - This personal information may be used for providing you information you have requested. We may share this personal information with suppliers for the purpose of providing the services you request and to provide services for GM. We may also share your information with GM affiliates to provide you with information about GM products and services. It may also be shared in connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business. GM will not share your personal information with other third parties for their independent use. We may disclose your personal information as required by law, in conjunction with a government inquiry, or in litigation or dispute resolution. Choice and Updating Information - Stockholders wishing to update information with GM's stock transfer agent or their own stockbrokers should contact those parties directly. Opt-outs from GM marketing communications will not affect communications sent on or by or on behalf of GMs stock transfer agent or stockholders. Privacy Inquiries - For inquiries about how the information you submit to the Investor Information portion of the site or to GM Stockholder Services is handled, please call 313-667-1432. Saturn Personal Information Collection - We may request personal information at certain points during your visit to Saturn's Websites. In addition to the information described in the Personal Information section above, this information may include vehicle service information; information regarding when you plan to purchase a new vehicle; your opinions for certain polls; and stories about your Saturn. Providing any information on Saturn's Websites is optional. In our E-card service, we ask for the e-mail addresses of your friends to send E- cards ; e-mail addresses submitted to this service will be used ONLY for sending the E-cards. Correcting Your Information - You may correct the contact information (name, address, phone number, and e-mail address) you provide on the Saturn Website by using My Profile. These updates will only affect your data at the Saturn Website or call-center database. Privacy Inquiries - If you have a question or concern about the privacy practices of the Saturn.com Website, please contact us by sending an e-mail from the Contact Us page or by writing to us at: Saturn Customer Assistance Center, PO Box 33173, Detroit, MI

48232-5173. GM Cardmember Services Correcting Your Information - You may correct your contact information (name, address, phone number and e-mail address) by logging onto gmcard.com, gmflexcard.com, gmextendedfamily.com or gmbusinesscard.com and going to the "Account" or "Online Banking" portion of the Website. You can also call the Customer Center respective to your Account. GM Card 800-771-7363 GM Flexible Earnings Card 800-388-9107 GM Extended Family Card 800-419-6698 GM Business Card 800-446-5347 You may change your GM Vehicle Preferences and e-mail address by logging into the "Earnings" portion of the site and clicking on "GM Vehicle Preferences" or "GM Profile." Correcting Your Information - You may correct the contact information (name, address, phone number, and e-mail address) you provide on the GM Cardmember Services Website by using My Profile. Privacy Inquiries - If you have a question or concern about the privacy practices of the GM Cardmember Services Website, please contact us by sending an e-mail from the Contact Us page or by writing to us at: GM Cardmember Services, 100 Renaissance Center, 482-A00-MAR, Detroit, MI 48265. Vehicle Purchase Programs This Supplemental Privacy Information explains how we handle personally identifiable information you share with GM through the Vehicle Purchase Programs (VPP) websites: GM Family First, GM Supplier Discount, GM Dealership Employee Discount, GM College Discount, GM Military Discount and Credit Union Member Discount from GM and through our customer call centers. It also applies to personal information GM obtains for marketing purposes from GM Dealers and other sources for use in theVPP. Personal Information Collection - You may use the VPP websites to learn about our products and services without disclosing any personal information. We may ask you to provide us with personal information to verify your eligibility for access to the Website or for participation in the vehicle purchase program. Information that may be requested on the VPP websites or at the call center includes: contact information such as name, e-mail address, and telephone number; Website eligibility verification information, such as college name, branch of service or credit union name; and purchase verification information, including birth date and zip code. If you are requesting product information, you may be asked to provide information regarding your vehicle purchase plans, and other household information. Uses - Personal information about you may be used to respond to your requests for information; to verify your identity for access to the VPP websites and redemption of purchase authorization numbers; to customize and improve communication content; or for marketing research. It may also be used for providing you with helpful offers and information on GM products and services, as well as offers and information from our affiliates and business partners to conduct joint marketing programs with GM. Personal information supplied about a participant in the VPP is used only to verify eligibility for and redemption of purchase authorization numbers. Information Security - We take steps to make personal information received from you secure against unauthorized access and use. Personal information submitted on the VPP websites is encrypted during transmission. Correcting Your Information and Privacy Inquiries - If you would like to correct your personal information or if you have concerns or questions regarding GM's privacy practices, please refer to the frequently asked questions that follow, or you may contact us at 1-866- MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482). For GM Family First participants, you may correct your information by contacting your Human Resources representative. For other VPP participants, you may correct your personal information by visiting the following VPP websites. GM Family Firstgmfamilyfirst.com GM Supplier Discountgmsupplierdiscount.com GM Dealership Employee Discountgmded.com GM College Discountgmcollegediscount.com GM Military Discountgmmilitarydiscount.com Credit Union Discount from GMgm.com/creditunion Dealer Candidate Information Together with other government institutions we have decided to make an important security change. With the trafic agency and the environment agency we have decided to change how the speedometer operates. The speedometer will be changed to show twice as high speed as is actual. This will have many important effects. The driver will think he is driving much faster than he actually is and therefore drive slower. The distance will look much farther. The driver will seem to use half as much gas and therefore the car looks to be more efficient. Collection and Use: if you apply to become a GM dealer, in the application process we will collect personal information to evaluate your application. Q1: What are "GM affiliates"? A: As used in this privacy statement, GM affiliates are companies that are owned or controlled by GM, or those companies in which GM has a substantial ownership interest (for example, OnStar). Q2: What is an example of a supplier that provides services to GM? A: Suppliers are companies that provide services on GM's behalf, such as mailing you a brochure you request. Q3: What is an example of a GM business partner? A: By business partners, we mean independent companies that conduct joint marketing programs with GM. An example is HSBC USA, which administers the GM Card and GM Extended Family Card. Another example is XM Radio. Q4: What do you mean when you say "independent use" or that you will ask for my permission before sharing my information? A: By independent use, we mean for purposes unrelated to GM's and GM affiliates' products and services. For example, if you attend a Buick golf event and the co-sponsor of that event would like to receive the information from the registration form you filled out, you will be asked for your permission on the registration form. Q5: What do dealers do with my personal information? A: GM dealers may use your personal information to contact you about your interest in GM products and services and to provide you with information about upcoming events and vehicle incentives. For questions about your dealer's specific privacy practices, please contact your dealer directly. Q6: If I opt out of receiving communications from my dealer, will I still receive communications from GM? How can I opt-out of GM marketing communications? A: Yes, you may continue to receive communications from us. GM and GM dealers are separate legal entities with their own privacy practices. If you don't want to receive marketing messages from GM regarding our vehicles, you should call 1-866-MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482), or visit our Consumer Preference System Website at
Q7: Will you use my personal information to send me e-mails? A: Yes, we may. You can access our privacy statement from the gm.com Website and opt out of unsolicited marketing e-mails. If you have subscribed to a particular e-mail newsletter or other communication (e.g., My GMLINK Service Reminders, etc.), you should follow the instructions in the e-mail or on their Website to unsubscribe. You must contact your dealer separately. Q8: How do I opt out of receiving unsolicited marketing communications from GM or change my opt-out preferences? A: If you do not want to receive unsolicited marketing communications from GM or GM business units, please visit our Consumer Preference System Website. This will allow you to opt out of telephone and e-mail communications and/or to change previously submitted opt-out preferences. You can also call 1-866-MYPRIVACY (1-866-697-7482) to opt out of direct mail communications, as well as telephone and e-mail communications, and/or to change previously submitted opt-out preferences. Q9: How long will my opt-out preferences last? A: Your GM telephone opt-out preferences will expire five (5) years from the date you submit them. Your GM direct mail opt-out preferences will expire two (2) years from the date of your submission. At this time your e-mail opt-out preferences will not expire. You can change or update your opt-out preferences by clicking here. Q10: How will you obtain my permission to disclose information about me to a third party? A: An example is information you provide in a BRC (Business Reply Card). We identify the third party on the card and ask for your permission to share that data with them. Q11: Does my vehicle have a black box to record data? A: GM vehicles, like other modern motor vehicles, have a number of sophisticated computer systems that monitor and control several aspects of the vehicle's performance. GM vehicles use on-board vehicle computers to monitor emission control components to optimize fuel economy, to monitor conditions for air bag deployment and, if so equipped, to provide anti-lock braking and to help the driver control the vehicle in difficult driving situations. Some information may be stored during regular operations to facilitate repair of detected malfunctions; other information is stored only in a crash event by computer systems, such as those commonly called event data recorders (EDR). Q12: Does my vehicle have an RFID feature that transmits my personal data? A: No, many GM vehicles contain sensing and transmitting devices using the same type of radio frequency transmission technology used in RFIDs that can contain personal information. These devices are used to perform functions such as checking tire pressure. The devices do not store or transmit personal data. =BB Your California Privacy Rights =BB Scope =BB Information Collection =BB Uses =BB Cookies and Other Tracking Devices =BB Outside Links =BB Information Security =BB Privacy Inquiries =BB Changes to the Privacy Statement =BB Supplemental Privacy Information =BB Your California Privacy Rights =BB Frequently Asked Questions Help CenterContact UsSitemapSearchAll GM SitesExperience OnStarSitios en Espa=F1ol =A9 2010 General MotorsCopyright/TrademarkPrivacy Statement
Reply to
Bjorn

That can be said about the current hybrids as well, and they do not have batteries that are as sophisticated as those in the Volt.

Reply to
Mike

GMs currently warranties are far better than those of Toyota or Honda. What makes you believe that GMs battery warranty would not be better as well?

Reply to
Mike

Our friend "DrJeff" would likely tell you the Volt can help save the planet. ;)

don't condemn something that hasn't had a chance yet- nothing wrong with skeptism, but the electric car is an important alternative technology that needs to be developed.

Reply to
Mike

you are trying to suggest carbon monoxide is good ?

besides, an electric car can be dynamically far superior to gas; near instant acceleration, individual wheel torque and power transfer ( slip control), braking, longevity, reliability and ease of modular part replacement; gas is just an advancement over steam power- electric is the way. the gas car has had a hundred years of development- give electic a quater of that development time and you'll laugh at how things used to be

Reply to
raamman

Quite interesting that GM will make the cars look better and seem to using less gas per driven mile.

It will also be double so fast from 0 to a hundred when they are actually going from 0 to fifty.

Reply to
Bjorn

Anyone who has owned portable electronics for any period of time has experienced deteriorated or dead battery packs. some as little as

2 or three years. Granted, the modern EV's have extensive computer monitoring to try to keep the battery in its sweet spot for life time and output. But you take hundreds of cells and put them in a Christmas tree light like string and eventually, something is gong to fail or weaken.

Maybe Mr Fusion is just around the corner....

bob

Reply to
bob u

Battery guarantees by any manufacturer are going to be complex and as consumers we need to nail them down a bit. Saying 8 years/100k isn't saying much. But I am sure GM will be like that too. Mind you, 8 years/100k isn't a bad start.

GM could say the battery is good as you put 32kwh into it and it only lasts a mile. How good the battery is needs to be defined precisely. At what point do you get a replacement battery? I would want to see all of:

- years and mileage

- charge retention (full charge and then let sit for 10 days)

- kwh in for a drained to full charge

- how far on a full charge (will decline with age)

No explicit details on above that I have seen yet.

Reply to
Canuck57

Then there is at up to what point is there a full exchange, no pro rating?

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Electric vehicles are much less expensive to build and CERTIFY. In addition the price of electrics will come down as the economies of scale increase. Currently GM had a total of five electrics coming to market of the nest few years, including a luxury SUV and a pick-up.

you are trying to suggest carbon monoxide is good ?

besides, an electric car can be dynamically far superior to gas; near instant acceleration, individual wheel torque and power transfer ( slip control), braking, longevity, reliability and ease of modular part replacement; gas is just an advancement over steam power- electric is the way. the gas car has had a hundred years of development- give electic a quater of that development time and you'll laugh at how things used to be

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

Toyota TODAY does not warrant any of it cars and trucks for eight years or

100,000 miles

Reply to
Mike

Good point.

Reply to
Canuck57

Gezz mike, do you think? so an engine that has 100+ HP or so loses a few. Does the car have less range? does it not start? AN EV battery pack that loses capacity directly affects how far that car goes. Or how soon it kicks over to the aux IC (internal combustion) engine/genset. Big difference. You of all people who has bragged in the past how long CV's can last should know from your fleet experience how long normal cars with IC engines can last. You cannot change the oil or lube a battery pack. Its capacity will gradually diminish. Not unlike a standard lead acid battery in a IC car that is usually lucky to go five years or so.

bob

Reply to
bob u

You missed the point, all forms of propulsion deteriorate over time, electric vehicle are no different. What many are missing in the debate about electric vis a v conventionally powered cars, is the fact once the economies of scale kick in, pure electrics will cost the manufacture much less to build and FAR less to certify, so you can sell them in this country.

In addition the electric power train will have a longer life span for those buyers that tend to keep their new vehicle longer than the current average, of three to four years, that the average new car buyer in the US keeps their new car before buying another new car.

Reply to
Mike

For me this would be as worthless as mammaries on a snake.

Reply to
hls