Squeaky Bushings on 96 GMC Sierra k1500

Hello everyone,

Got a dilema...about 6 months ago I purchased a used 96 GMC Sierra K1500 4x4 with 130000 miles on it. The truck is emaculate, very well taken care of. When I bought the truck it had 35 x 12.50 BFG Mud Terrains and was utilizing offset spacers on the rear tires(the wheel has very little backspacing). The stance of the vehicle is very wide. I realize that this will eventually lead to all sorts of problems such as ball joint and bearing wear...etc. It appears to have a FABTECH suspension system upgrade with Billstein Gas shocks.

For the first three months I had this truck it rocked! The ride was incredible, very smooth on the road, and yet could hammer the trails with no bottoming out and minimal wheel scrape(wheel wells). I have taken the truck hunting twice and offroad trail driving about 5-6 times. Nothing to wild...

Well now the truck is deteriorating....the steering is all over the place driving down the road (I even think the "pull" switches from a strong left to right pull at times...scarey). When going over speed bumps or entering raised parking lots the rear right tire sounds like it is loose (when an inspection of the vehicle lifted shows no signs of anything loose). The bushing on the drivers side front sound horrible (i'm embarassed to drive through my apt complex at times!). I've been told its cause the previous owner installed poly urethane bushings and out here in AZ they dry out and squeak horribly...I've tried silicon based lubes, regular bushing and bearing grease...hell I even loosened the bolts to the bushings and smothered the bushings in grease (don't have tool to remove completely...balljoint). I'm at a loss here...I'm about to go back to a factory equipped vehicle even though I have never liked the stance of factory vehicles...are these issues that are plagueing me typical of all lifted/modified suspension trucks? Can anyone give me any suggestions as to fixes without me spending what I spent on the truck to buy it...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Reply to
Ross