Stalling Sentra

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra with a 1.8 l engine. A few weeks ago it started to stall just after I started it. After about the third time I could get it to run. Over the last few weeks it has been stalling at idle and loosing power at high speed. I checked the plugs and they are very clean amd correctly gapped. The injectors are clicking OK. At idle it runs OK for a few seconds and then the idle turns lumpy and ragged. It may stall or it may recover for another few seconds and then repeat the cycle. This happens with the engine cold or at normal running temperature. It almost sounds like something is clicking on to put load on the engine and then clicking off again allowing the engine to run smoothly. Is there something that cycles on and off to load down the engine. The AC is not turned on. When it is running, I checked the exhaust and I can feel a mis-fire now and again. The exhaust gives a "chug". I also notice that the exhaust tip is very sooty. I was getting an OBD-II code indicating weak mixture for a while but I had a hole in the exhaust which I subsequently fixed. The code no longer appears but I still have the stalling problem. No codes are being set now but the car is very unreliable. Anyone have any suggestions what to look for? Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

Yup!

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

First thing I'd check would be the fuel filter...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The fuel filter on this car is in the gas tank. Not very easy to get to or to check. There is no external filter. The surprising thing to me is that there are no codes set at all. I would have expected some kind of code since the car is stalling very badly now. I am at a loss with this one.

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

check the ignition switch. if you have a loaded key ring, it can prevent the contacts returning to the full "run" position, and over time, the contacts burn out. very common problem on hondas and when it happens, you get stalling and no codes. something to check for...

Reply to
jim beam

Could be a failing fuel pump, too. Neither the pump nor filter will set codes.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

Have you checked the fuel pressure yet ?

Reply to
Mike

I did notice one thing. The car idles smoothly for a few seconds and then stalls or runs rough for seconds and then stalls. I noticed that the EGR valve pulls open at the same time that the rough idle starts. I disconnected and plugged the EGR vacuum hose and there was no difference so it is not the EGR itself that is causing the problem. It looks though as if it is some other vacuum operated system that is causing the problem when the vacuum builds up in the intake. I did have a problem code some time ago that was suggesting an air leak in the EVAP system. I checked out the hoses and replaced the gas cap as the book suggested to no avail. I just lived with the check engine light for a while. Since I have been having this idle and surging problem though, that code has not appeared again. I did nothing to fix it. I did try clamping off the EVAP hoses and the car still stalled so I doubt that this is the cause.

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

A few years ago, my now-deceased partner started having similar problems with his Ford custom van. The dealership took the van and replaced his fuel pumps and a number of other things. When they got through, he had spent several thousand on repairs and transportation...Then if failed again.. And they replaced some more parts, etc etc.

Finally, somebody got the idea to blow out the fuel lines. And that did the trick. The lines were almost blocked with a rubbery looking substance.

There IS a moral to this story, and I think everybody knows what it is...If not, just make one up.

Reply to
hls

Would a fuel pressure test not have found this problem?

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

I doubt it's the filter. A fuel volume issue would show up under heavy load before it would at idle.

Sounds to me like a stuck open EGR valve or other vacuum leak. Good luck, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

I sort of fixed it. The MAF sensor was dirty. I checked the voltage readings and they hardly changed over the rev range. I bought the cleaner and gave it a good dousing and it improved tremendously. I still get a little hesitation now and again so I will try another cleaning later.

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

Sentras are notorious for bad cop coils.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Should have, fuel pressure and deliverability. Some mechanics are quick to "flat rate", however, and will replace a lot of parts to avoid diagnosis.

This van had a main and an auxiliary fuel tank. The source of the crap was never really identified.

Reply to
hls