Starting my car in 2nd gear

I've been recently driving my car, starting off in 2nd gear instead of first. I simply rev up the engine higher, before releasing the clutch and, for the most part, I'm able to slip into 2nd smoothly withn 3 seconds on the clutch. I was just wondering if there is any long term harm done to the car if I keep starting in 2nd gear all the time?

Reply to
JollyBombadil

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1187833767.966023.252000 @r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

What made you think of this strategy?

Reply to
Tegger

Sounds like a great way to cook the clutch.

Reply to
Steve W.

Some folks do it when slippery to reduce the chances of spinning a tire, but don't make a habit of it. You're not too likely to fry the clutch this way, depending on how much you rev up, but it'll still reduce the life.

Reply to
B.B.

i mean if your car has enough torque you shouldnt have to really rev it, like mine i can just put it into second gear slowly and it wont stall and even hold the brake pedal and then release and give gas. but it will spin the clutch wearing it down to dust

Reply to
2001jettavr6

You mean aside from the burnt clutch that's going to need replacement

*WAY* sooner than it should (and than you'll like)?

If you need three seconds on the clutch to get rolling, you're chewing up clutch at a ridiculous rate.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Ask any Lamborghini owner what the problem with this is.

Hint 1, 1:st gear on a Lamborghini is probably close in ratio to 2:nd, or maybe even 3:rd gear, on your average grocery getter. They get their good 0-60 times partly because they do it in first gear.

Hint 2, Lamborghinis tend to wear out their clutches in no time flat. An inexperienced valet can toast a Lambo clutch in a single parking attempt.

I would instead get it rolling quickly in first, then skip gears if you're attempting eco driving.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

You'll wear out the clutch a whole lot faster, plus overheat it so that it will likely start "chattering" even before its truly worn out.

Reply to
Steve

Shucks, if you can start out in 2nd with 3 seconds of slipping why not start out in 5th with 10 seconds of slipping?

The clutch manufacturers will love you.

Reply to
John Kunkel

If I knew any Lambo drivers, I'd be sure to ask them quite a bit about their car.

If you can recommend any, particularly any that own a Miura S and have exceptionally poor judgement in their choice of friends and who they let drive their car and a generous, forgiving nature, I'd be most appreciative.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Do Not Feed The Troll.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Those old cars of about sixty years ago or more with long stroke engines with manual shift, on a level ground/road, all you had to do was plop them in third gear and they would pull away as easy as pie. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin