my new subaru 1st & 2nd gear

06 impreza wagon, with manual tranny. when engaged in 1st and 2nd gears, if you release the throttle, at aroune 1000rpm, the car will jerk bouncily. It only happens in 1st and 2nd gear, not in 3rd or 4th.

btw, during cold start idling, you will hear a click sound, then the idling RPM goes up a bit, then gradually fall back, then you heard another click,it goes up a bit a gain.... but only in cold start.

BTW, I've stalled the car a lots of time from station to move, will it affect the car? only bought it for 2 days.

Reply to
grape

Could the click could be your a/c cutting in and out? If it's on, try running with it off and see.

The jerking sounds like it's transmision related adn probably quite predictable if you do that sort of thing - happens in some other cars too. AWD probably exacerbates it because ther's an extra diff in the mix. Does backing off more gently at those revs make any difference? At least when it happens in 2nd, you can change down to 1st and have a few more revs! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

You didn't mention it was a turbo model, but in case it were be aware that at lower RPMs, especially under 3k before the turbo kicks in, the engine power is very anemic and you will have to feather or slip the clutch a little more than on other cars. This might prevent you from stalling. Try keeping the revs up a bit more and report back.

That "jerk" might be, again, becuase you are dropping the clutch too quickly and jerking the drive train. The clutch has springs in it to absorb some shock, but that also allows it to jerk back and forth a bit.

Lastly that click at low RPM on cold days may simply be due to the valve train not getting the lubrication it need right away. This is ok, if you just let it idle for a short while to build up heat and allow the oil to thin a bit.

Funny, in cars we are so used to starting and driving off -- on every motorcycle I've ever owned (and most people do to) they let it idle and warm up for a few minutes. This was a must not too lond ago with carbs and chokes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

My 02 Impreza does the same thing if I'm sloppy in letting off the gas (i.e. too quickly). Some days it seems more susceptible (temp, humidity?), but, as stated above, easing off helps prevent it. Perhaps the clutch in the Impreza is just a bit more "grabby".

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

good point -- it might settle out after a good break-in, too.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

"06 impreza wagon, with manual tranny. when engaged in 1st and 2nd gears, if you release the throttle, at aroune 1000rpm, the car will jerk bouncily. It only happens in 1st and 2nd gear, not in 3rd or 4th.

btw, during cold start idling, you will hear a click sound, then the idling RPM goes up a bit, then gradually fall back, then you heard another click,it goes up a bit a gain.... but only in cold start.

BTW, I've stalled the car a lots of time from station to move, will it affect the car? only bought it for 2 days."

Sounds to me like you are operating the engine at too low an rpm. This engine isn't really comfortable operating at less than 1500 rpm, if there is any load. Of course, in first gear, you can go a bit lower in rpm. However, your comment about frequent stalling leads me to think you are not operating in it's "comfortable" range. Maybe try a bit more rpm pulling away?

The clutch in Impreza's is a bit abrupt, but some more practice should eliminate any problems you are now having.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

If his is doing what mine does, it happens after you let off the gas (the clutch is already out).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

My 04 Impreza RS has been doing that for some time now. It started in

3rd gear only, then spread to 2nd, and now I think 1st and 4th are starting to do it. The jerking motion is very annoying. I took my car into the dealer once, and he told me it's normal, but I seriously doubt that. It happens at any RPM, but it doesn't happen all the time. Anyone know what it could be that's causing that? I'd like some more info so I can take the car back to the dealer and specify what they should test and fix.

-Richard

Reply to
Rick C

The tranny stuff is normal for subarus. My family has had subarus for over 26 years and they all have had this. Just another subaru quirk.

pcj

Reply to
Paul

I don't know if you uner stand my question or I misunderstood your reply. hehe

That is, when the car is moving in 1st &/or 2nd gear, if I let off the throttle, the car slows down, and RPM drops as well, and as RPM drops around

Reply to
grape

it's 2.5i, and no, not let off clutch,.... it's just a normal driving in 1st /2nd gear at around 20km/h, then you let off the throttle, watching the RPM drops, until it's around1000RPM, the car starts to jerk forward and backward.

and forgot to mention it, when engaged in reverse, if let off throttle too quickly, the car does the same jerk...also around 1000RPM. "Mike Lloyd" wrote >

Reply to
grape

grape scribbled:

Step on the clutch dude! You're not driving an automatic... At 1000 rpm your car is stalling. If in 2nd gear, pass it into neutral, blip the throttle and shift it into 1st gear; and if in 1st gear at 1000 rpm, either stop the car or step on the throttle and get going!

Reply to
MK IV

When you let off the gas the fuel system shuts down UNTILL you get to about 1000 rpm and the fuel system starts again so the engine get fuel to idle. What you are experiencing is the fuel systems computer cycling the on & off. This is a common phenomena of fuel inject vehicles.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

had some expert driven my car, and he said that there's no problem, only coz I let the RPM dropped so low. He recommand me to shift down.

still curious, why in my old automatic camry le v6, I can let the RPM drop so low that without any jerking? my old camry can have 500RPM without any jitting.

Reply to
grape

"" wrote: > In article , > "Mike Lloyd" wrote: > > > That "jerk" might be, again, becuase you are dropping the > clutch too quickly > > and jerking the drive train. The clutch has springs in it > to absorb some > > shock, but that also allows it to jerk back and forth a bit. > > If his is doing what mine does, it happens after you let off > the gas > (the clutch is already out). > > Steve

My 05 Legacy Ltd maintaines RPM when the throttle and clutch are released for a two-count. If you shift during that two-count it jerks. I was told 1) it?s a polution control thing and 2) it goes away with age. The car has 4,000 miles on it and it still wants to jerk. I?ve gotten very good at being patient and shifting with a two-count.

Reply to
Bredehoft

"" wrote: > it's 2.5i, and no, not let off clutch,.... it's just a normal > driving in 1st > /2nd gear at around 20km/h, then you let off the throttle, > watching the RPM > drops, until it's around1000RPM, the car starts to jerk > forward and > backward. > > and forgot to mention it, when engaged in reverse, if let off > throttle too > quickly, the car does the same jerk...also around 1000RPM. > "Mike Lloyd" wrote >

I did misunderstand you, mine only jerks when I let the clutch out too fast.

No help here on your problem. Sorry.

Reply to
Bredehoft

Sure, your Camry with the automatic can do it. One of the major differences between an automatic and a manual transmission is that the manual has a positive connection to the rear wheels and the automatic has a slip connection. If you slow a manual down far enough with the clutch engaged it will even stop running (after jumping around to remind you to engage the clutch.)

Reply to
Bredehoft

Sounds fair enough. Heaps of current engines (and even more earlier air pump equipped ones) maintain revs for a while before going to idle, so it's easy to butcher a change if you just clutch, shift, then lift off; because as the revs finally fall to an idle, the engine realises it's still lugging the drivetrain round with it too and it snatches. I say use the clutch more sympathetically and put the poor thing out of its misery! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Just to try and simply compare the two but not give a totally technically accurate picture:

Manual - two plates physically joined together by pressure unless you push in the clutch. Resistance leads to snatching and jerking.

Automatic - two plates not physically joined but in a common bath of fluid. Resistance leads to internal slipping and so cushions snatch.

There's more to it than that but the bottom line is that manuals will tend to snatch near stall point and autos won't. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

plus that v6 has more torque down low I am almost positive -- not to mention more inertial spinning mass.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd