"grabby" 1st gear on '02 6 speed

I have an '02 SE 6 speed that has always been a bit "grabby" (for lack of a better term) in 1st gear. I love the car, but 1st is a bit sensitive. Lately, I've been just starting in 2nd, especially if I've still got a little roll going at a stop sign, or i'm pointing downhill. This eliminates the "lurching", but I was wondering if something might be wrong with the clutch/tranny or if this is normal. I only have 19K on the car and don't abuse it at all (I'm 52!).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

Reply to
Opua

Sounds like a clutch technique issue to me. If you have more than 3/4" or so free play in the clutch, an adjustment might make it easier to perform a smooth launch.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Take a look at:

Clutch chatter or "judder" on take-off. Could also be clutch adjustment. Either way, the car's under warranty so I'd take it in for a look.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers