Strange Whine/Screech Sound From Engine

So here's one I've never heard of before. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the potential problem, and if it's even worth getting looked at.

When I just start my engine, or accelerate at higher speeds, my engine seems to make a slight screeching sound similar to a worn brake pad. It's almost a cross between that sound and fingers on a chalkboard. It isn't very loud, and it's constant (instead of the "wink wink wink" I usually associate with a loose belt).

Any ideas what it might be? I was worried it was engine grinding, but I'm totally clueless. The oil is fine, and I threw in an extra quart for good measure. It's been cold here in Illinois, but the car still makes the sound if the engine is warmed up.

It's a Honda Civic LX '98, if that's at all useful.

Thanks for any ideas! Alex

Reply to
Arccos

Either a dying bearing or an intake leak of some sort. Since the car is a '98 an intake leak should be throwing the MIL on. That leaves a bearing. The question is which bearing. It could be in anything from a belt idler to an accessory such as the power steering pump or alternator.

Reply to
Brent P

"Arccos" wrote in news:1173247838.246001.86500 @h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

There have been isues with other models and the A/C idler pulley.

Remove the A/C belt and see if the noise goes away.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the help! Sounds like something like that is going to be expensive and difficult to diagnose and fix. Is this one of the cases where it's best to just let it continue to deteriorate until it can be easily identified?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Arccos

If I don't take it in, I'll give that a shot. I did have some recent problems with the fan system (now fixed), so maybe it's that.

Reply to
Arccos

Might be able to take the belts off and turn accessories by hand and see if any feel rough or lose or make ugly noises. Might be early enough that lubrication might be all that is required provided it is possible to do it of course.

The cooling fan on my car had the bearing going it in, but it was of a non-servicable design where I could have easily done more harm than good opening it up to lube it, so I just let it be until it died.

Reply to
Brent P