sudden problem

1993 jeep wrangler with 4.0L, 3spd ATX, 149k miles

i bought jeep last year with 120k, immediately did entire service list, coolant, atf, oil, diff, t-case, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, brake fluid, everything!

i've been keeping up with everything since then, new water pump and serp belt from leak.

in the last month, a couple of times i've noticed on cold accel from stop that i have no motion, then bangs into first and i'm on my way. actully i think this might be a shift link problem, so i'm gonna check that out tomorrow night

new today, 2750rpm MAJOR vibration. unrelated to vehicle speed or transmission position.

putting it on lift tomorrow (i work in lexus shop) to check things out, just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone.

Reply to
MudPuppy

Sounds to me like the Throttle Position Sensor has died. Also the Crank Position Sensor worthy of testing. If have seen weird Transmission behavior with a bad TPS. The 32RH is very reliable, and I normally don't suspect it, but at the mileage you have, worth keeping an eye on. Could be a sluggish servo in there, especially considering this behavior happens after cold start. Do see the linkage isn't out of adjustment too, that is simple enough to do.

Reply to
John Garrison

Jeeps can have shifting issues from a dirty connection on the TPS.

Mike

MudPuppy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

ok, figured it out. the rad fan clutch had started wobbling. i should have noticed this, but with the help of a friend, i had him rev it up to the vibration, and suddenly saw the fan going nuts. $36 thermal clutch and 1/2 hour later, i'm back in the 4-5G range with no vibration whatsoever!

Reply to
MudPuppy1976