Different Type Of Flasher Problem

Hello All,

I checked through all old topics here on this subject and read them before posting this. I have a 99 TJ Sport. For a long time, when I hit the brakes the left turn signal light would come on steady with the brake light. This stopped out of the blue. NOW, the flashers do nothing. When I move the stalk they don't click, come on, nothing. here's what I did so far, and my question:

-I checked all fuses including the PDC ones

-checked and confirmed that the stalk still makes the high beams come on (at least one function's working)

-hazards work fine, no bulbs are out anywhere

Will I need a new flasher switch assembly in the column/stalk end, or just a new flasher unit? Does the high beam control work off the same column switch assembly that controls the flashers?

Thanks and hope everyone's had a good weekend,

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

I too this weekend delved into the fun that is a TJ turn-signal switch . . . If you end up having to replace the turn-signal/hazard/hi- beam switch, I believe that it is seemingly the same switch found in

95-?? dodge/plymouth neons. I noticed when I got my TJ that it had the same-looking and same functioning turn-signal stalk as my wife's neon. I remember thinking it odd when I first drove her neon that you had to press the stalk toward the front of the vehicle for the hi-beams to stay on, .. up to that point I had always pulled back to turn them on. Then when I got my TJ I thought hmm.. that looks familiar!

TJ Switch: ($72 on ebay)

Neon Switch: ($25 on ebay)
The problem with my switch was the fact that I inadvertently gave it a bath last summer (which also killed my radio) and ever since, I've had to press the stalk in toward the steering column when I push it down for the left-turn signal to actually work. After cleaning the contacts inside the switch however, things seem to be working now.. for how long, I don't know.

There's a lot going on inside that switch. If you take it apart, be careful to not lose the parts that will fall out... I'm still trying to figure out where this 1 1/4" long spring was supposed to go . . . :) stared at the dang thing for 30 minutes trying to find a place for it, .. .put it back together without it, and everything works . . . .so far.

Reply to
Dave

This chart is out of the FSM if you want to check the switch:

Dave

Thanks a lot for the helpful suggestions, guys! I'll definitely check out that part. I was sure hoping it was just a flasher unit, LOL. Another weird twist to this: I washed the Jeep yesterday and the flashers briefly worked. Bad ground, I wonder? Gremlins?

Thanks again, Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

I would still swap the flasher with the emergency one before I started buying parts.

I would then be checking out the rear left bulb looking for a short between the running light filament and the brake filament.

Then I would be taking a booster cable or a wire and run it from the battery negative to the light 'fixture' itself. Your 99 is kinda young for rotted bolts, but the bolts on the fixture make the ground for the signal and brake lights.

Sometimes folks that have put brush guards on their taillights and have your issues because the bolts get moved out to rusty spots on them..

I have a feeling you have more than one thing going on....

Mike

Mike Romain

Good point about the ground Mike, .. I thought the same thing when I had a bulb-problem this weekend, and on my 98, the three fixture bolts were nasty rusty. 9 years of water trickling behind the fixture and over them will do that I guess.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
RoyJ

Is that the one that makes the turn signal shut off? It hooks on two places and makes a pointed plastic lever flip when the index passes it.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

The tail lamps ground to the body via the three screws that attach the lamp body to the body. On my '99 the brake lamps weren't working (except the CHIMSL). After scratching my head I took off the tail-light lens and then the three screws holding it to the body. The screws were rusty and the holes in the body were too.

I wire brushed the screws and used a pick and small wire brush on the holes in the body and then put a dab of carbon filled grease on the screws when I put it back together.

Works like it was supposed to.

Reply to
reboot