Symptoms of bad cat converter?

2000 Mazda Protege ES with 151k miles on it

What are the symptoms of a bad catalytic converter?

The CEL keeps coming on but the error code is "vague" and sounds to me like it could be the catcon or even O2 sensors!

Money is tight for me and I can't replace BOTH the O2 sensors and catcon at this time and want to replace only what is bad.

There are two O2 sensors total cost abt $200...and of course the catcon is abt $225.... not including labor for all this.

My CEL keeps coming on and my gas mileage is poor.

I always thought a catcon was good for life of the car. Is 151k too soon for catcon to be bad?

If you were gonna choose between the catcon or the two O2 sensors.... which one would you have replaced given my symptoms above?

Reply to
me

Well what is the code? or codes? If you have more than one O2 sensor they will each have codes associated with them if they fail.

To check the converter you could have the exhaust tested with an analyzer. The O2 sensor is easy to test as well. You just need to measure the voltage coming off of it and compare it to the specifications.

150K is well past what many of the manufacturers consider the "life" of a vehicle.
Reply to
Steve W.

Not sure exact code as the mechanic did the scan.

I will call and ask them for exact number

Reply to
me

wrote: (2000 Mazda Protege ES 151k miles)

My CEL keeps coming on and my gas mileage is poor. The error code is "vague" and sounds like it could be the catcon or the O2 sensors. Isn't the catcon supposed to be good for life of the car? Would you replace the catcon or the two O2 sensors given my symptoms above? _______________________________________________

I would not replace either based on the sole symptom you cited (poor gas mileage). Please give more info:

How poor is the gas mileage?

What is the actual error code you read?

What is vague about that code?

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Poor gas mileage will destroy a catalytic converter. It could be caused by the O2 sensor but you need the codes to determine that. Guessing at parts to replace is expensive and futile. The car needs to be diagnosed with an OBDII tester and then the correct parts can be determined. If you have been driving for a while with poor mileage the CAT is probably gone but the only symptom that will cause is pollution. It will have no effect on the drivability of the car

Reply to
Woody

Does it use a male or female voice when it tells you?

: )

What ARE the codes you're getting?

Reply to
Calab

It's as cold as the exhaust pipe going into it? Can you borrow one of those infrared thermometers to take its temperature?

I've found that mechanics vary a lot in their diagnostic skills, and some don't seem to know how to interpret the OBDII codes, except literally. The O2 sensor before the cat should give out about 0.6V DC (measure only with a high impedance meter, like a digital voltage meter) or 1Vpeak-peak on a oscilloscope, while the O2 sensor after the cat should put out only a feeble signal if the cat is working, or a strong signal if the cat is bad.

has factory manuals for 1996 and 2002 Proteges, as well as lots of other factory manuals for various makes of vehicles. A factory manual will cover the fuel/emissions systems in a lot more detail than any Chilton or Haynes manual will and in terms that are easier to understand. The next best reference is a Mitchell manual from a library, preferrably the paper version.

If I was tight on money, I wouldn't "have" them replaced but would replace them myself, but only after proper diagnosis proved that they were bad. The only thing I might "have" done by someone else would be a detailed diagnosis (i.e., specifies everything that has to be done and everything that has to be replaced) by a _good_ mechanic who knows all about Mazda fuel/emissions and doesn't make hit-or-miss guesses.

Have you tried the FAQs and forums at places like MazdaForum.com and MsProtege.com ?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

But we have no idea what your symptoms are. You don't even tell us what the actual error code is, and you have made no measurements of any sort. What is the error code and what does the exhaust look and smell like?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

can't a muffler shop put some sort of pressure tester prior to the catalytic convertor to see if there is excessive back pressure? That would make the most sense. If they can't, then here is an opportunity to make millions.

Reply to
boxing

Of course, that can be done...but I dont think it is usually done.

It is too easy to throw parts at the problem, and minimize diagnosis.

Sound cynical?

Had a charge problem with FIL's pickup a short while ago. They replaced the alternator and brought it home. CEL came on.

I took it back.

They replaced the ECM.. Engine light came on and truck ran rough.

Took it back..

They replaced the oxygen sensors and brought it home. CEL is still on.

$604 later, this piece of GM shit, serviced at the local GM dealership, is still shining the CEL.

At least, here in Texas we have one of the strongest Deceptive Trade Practices Acts in the nation. Im pissed.

Reply to
HLS

Oh man I bet you are pissed

I would be too!!

Reply to
me

Ok now my CEL went OUT!

What would make it do that if it is in fact the O2 sensor or catcon?!

Reply to
me

Who the hell knows? If you don't know why it went on, you don't know why it went out either. Without pulling the codes, you know nothing. Pull the codes.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

But since it went out (CEL).... will there still be "codes" to pull?

Reply to
me

Yep.

Reply to
Steve W.

You might want to check the Mass Air Flow Meter as well. I had those types of symptoms (vague computer lights, high petrol consumption) on my car (Skoda, VW engine). Had the car's computer read, the error codes pointed anywhere and everywhere. Tracked the fault down to the mass air flow meter. Swapped it out, it sorted it all.

If yours isn't actually knackered, but just dirty, have a butchers on the web for pages on how to attempt to clean your flow meter (usually a task involving some solvent to get the build up of crap off the two measuring wires (if that is the type of meter it has)), if there is physical damage, you'll have to shell out for a new one.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

You might want to check the Mass Air Flow Meter as well. I had those types of symptoms (vague computer lights, high petrol consumption) on my car (Skoda, VW engine). Had the car's computer read, the error codes pointed anywhere and everywhere. Tracked the fault down to the mass air flow meter. Swapped it out, it sorted it all.

If yours isn't actually knackered, but just dirty, have a butchers on the web for pages on how to attempt to clean your flow meter (usually a task involving some solvent to get the build up of crap off the two measuring wires (if that is the type of meter it has)), if there is physical damage, you'll have to shell out for a new one.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

OK here is the code..... only one

P0420

Again this is code for 2000 Mazda Protege ES with 151k miles on it. Bought the car new

Reply to
me

This is a "catalyst efficiency" code, which the ECU sets when it sees the rear O2 sensor tracking too closely with the front O2 sensor.

This code will appear if either one of the O2 sensors is bad.. you would think that if the front sensor failed it would throw a bunch of other codes too, but not necessarily. It will also appear if the catalytic converter is bad or if the sensor wiring is bad or if the sensor inputs on the ECU are bad.

The next step is to use a real scanner and look at the values of the O2 sensor inputs that the ECU is seeing, both to see if they are out of range and to see what they do as the engine is warming up.

If you don't have access to a real scanner, all you can do is start swapping stuff out at random. Since you're losing power, I'd start with the front O2 sensor. If drivability is not affected, it's more likely to be the rear O2 sensor which exists mostly to make sure the catalytic converter is okay.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey