d15b2 idling/running problems

Got an 88 civic, d15b2 engine
Last 2 days, its started having very lumpy running. Its shakey at idle, and feels like its missing yet the check engine doesn't come on
(as it does usually when it misfires)
it appears to have a loss of power, and be rough accelerating, unless when going, you ease off the accelerator, where it smooths down, and if you gently ease the accelerator down, it runs fairly smooth. goes back to lumpy if its pressed down harder. It also seems to be a lot smoother at higher engine revs.
Happened only about 2 days ago, during a run down a country road, stopped at a railroad corssing, and it was suddenly like this.
hope someone can give me some hints thx.
Update - I started the engine, and pulled the plug wires out one by one - seems to be something with cyl2
On Nov 1, 5:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When is the last time the ignition wires and plugs were replaced? Are the current ones OEM? If it's been awhile, replace with OEM. Also replace the distributor cap and rotor, and check the timing. One of the most common solutions here for rough running is simply a basic tuneup with OEM parts. The OEM parts here BTW do pay for themselves in longevity.
You could do a resistance check of all wires and report back. Maybe it is indeed #2 wire that's bad (or particularly bad)?
Next I would suspect the O2 sensor. For the d15b2 (which my Civic has), IIRC a malfunctioning O2 sensor does not necessarily set off the CEL etc. The O2 sensor is cheap enough for this engine that a pre-emptive replacement is not a bad idea at all.
See http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id11.html for more discussion of the above and some other tips.
Elle Original owner, 1991 Civic LX (engine d15b2), 200k miles

yeah, spark's good, as are the wires
i've just pulled the plugs and #2's black, carbon fouling. I put new plugs in 2 weeks ago, when i changed the timing belt, its since done 1000 until this problem showed up 2 days ago (we had a lot of places to go, and we live in a rural area - going to walmart's a 55 mile roundtrip)
its an 88 civic, and 255k miles on it.

Another followup - looks like compression
I've no compression tester, but when i pulled the #2 wire, with it running, it was blowing out of the hole - the plug was still in. 3 and 4 aren't, but 1 is not as much, and yet 1 is still running/firing
On Nov 1, 6:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

blowing out of what hole?
seriously dude, it's impossible to offer advice if you're not describing the symptoms properly and just guessing possible causes.

I'm not sure how your engine is designed, but generally, when I pull a spark plug wire out of an engine, thats about the only 'hole' there is, that being the hole the spark plug wire goes into. If you have additional holes in your engine, Maybe you should seek another engine.