Symptoms of a Bad Distributor????

I started driving the other day and noticed what seemed like the engine was missing. I was travelling on the interstate and this continued for the next couple hours. It got worse and the car started to miss when accelerating and hesitate under load. I changed the spark plugs (did not change the wires). Eventually it got worse and seemed like the car was not getting any fuel/power when I gave it gas. I decided to pull off the road to give it a break. As I slowed down it stalled out and would not start. As I tried to restart the car the battery died. However, when the tow truck arrived I jumped the battery and got it to start. I had the car towed and the mechanic said the diagnostic machine indicated that the distributor was bad. To my knowledge there was no oil in the Distributor and the mechanic said the bearings did the internal distributor damage that was going to require a new distributor. For some reason I don't think it is the distributor but I am far from an expert. Please help. My questions are:

  1. Would I have heard any sounds if the distributor went bad?
  2. Could the symptoms listed be a pvc valve or air filter (neither have been changed for quite some time)?
  3. Any other seggestions?
Reply to
bcummings

[...]

Does the distributor feel kind of loose and wobble around when you put your hand on it? It might be worn out. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

As far as I can tell the distributor does not seem to be loose.

Reply to
bcummings

Them '29 Maxwell's all had bad distributors.

Make, Model and Year are helpful information.

I have replaced several GM light truck distributors due to worn bearings. All were in the 170k to 200k miles range.

Reply to
anumber1

Then you are being took!

A bad distributor cap will cause you symptoms, but so will a dirty air filter.

If the distributor is bad, you 'will' feel the slop in the rotor shaft period! If you do not, the guy is a liar that is just trying to take your money.

I'll bet the new distributor cap comes with a new cap and rotor too eh.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks for the reply. The vehicle is a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder, 4wd with 160K miles. You had mentioned that you have replaced distributors due to worn bearings. You can probably answer some other questions for me.

- When the bearings break loose does it make noise?

-Can the vehicle still be started?

-And finally, does this happen over time, because it seems that it the bearings break loose the ultimate end would happen quickly?

Reply to
bcummings

When the bearings are bad, you will either hear a sound from the distributor, or there will be play in the shaft. Pull the cap and turn the rotor. Is there any play?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey