Synthetic Oil Question?

I have been reading a lot on here lately about synthetic oils? I have never used them. I was wondering about the service intervals. Do you keep do 3k service intervals, do you extend to where the manufacturer recommendations are going, I have seen some up to 7.5k in owners manuals lately, or do you do something different? Filter change every time?

Thanks for the info.

Dan

Reply to
Lewis11561

This guy is doing a study on his Camaro, running an oil analysis every 1000 miles to find out how long he can go (and to compare the differant synthetics on the market) Pretty good reading.

Mike O'Malley

If you drive like most people do, mixed city and highway with at least a few 15 mile or longer trips once in a while, you can easily go

6000/6 months between changes on regular oil. If you use synthetic you can go 12,000/12 months. Change the filter each time you change oil.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

A good article, thank you for posting it.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

Longer intervals are probably OK, but you should change the filter more often. With the above schedule, I'd do the filter every 6K. You should also be aware that there can be warranty issues with long intervals, regardless of whether or not synthetic really needs to be changed.

Reply to
Jimmy

I agree. Finally someone is developing some actual data to do battle with opinion and propaganda.

Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Reply to
Larry Smith

| > A good article, thank you for posting it. | > ***************** | > Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net | >

| | | | I agree. Finally someone is developing some actual data | to do battle with opinion and propaganda. | | Can't wait to see how it plays out. | |

I switched to synthetic oil a while back in my 1997 Grand Caravan 3.3 V6 (@

35,000 miles). The 1st change after switching, the oil was as black as ink! I had never seen the oil get THAT black before! Since then it's slowly gotten back to a normal dirty dark brown color at time of changes. The synthetic oil sure must have broken up (and cleaned out) a fair amount of dirt and sludge build up for that to have happened on that 1st change after installing synthetic!! Any other explanation? One problem I have is that my office is only 4 miles from home...the engine rarely gets hot enough to burn off the condensation deposits in the oil, especially in the winter months, so I change it every 3-4 months...sometimes with only 1,500-2,000 miles use of the oil.
Reply to
James C. Reeves