Taurus: Erratic Loss of Tire Pressure

A friend of mine is asking for help with a tire that loses pressure erratically. It will be fine for days, even weeks, and then loses pressure. Inflate it, and it is good for days or weeks again. He has taken it into a tire shop but they couldn't find anything wrong.

Suggestions?

Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Reply to
Dan Beaton

Dented rim that is preventing a good seal. Rusted rim. Bad valve seat, looses seal if valve stem moved.

Somebody tampering with the tire.

Reply to
marks542004

You can have something like a nail that will leak when parked a certain way and not when parked in a different position, but it whould not go weeks without losing pressure. I'd change the tire valve seal, which is dirt cheap. I'd put extra pressure in it and look for bubbles in a tank. I doubt if it's a dedicated prankster, but who knows.

Is the tire being checked regularly with a consistent reading gauge? If not, that can be deceiving. A tire can look OK and be losing pressure. Not until it reaches a critical point will the low pressure be obvious to the eye. so if its not being checked regularly it could appear to be going down quickly.

Your friend could try a different tire shop.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Someone letting the air out of it? Or perhaps a bad core in the valve?

Reply to
Walter

The OP didn't note what kind of tire it was or whether the tire shop took the tire off the rim or just put it in a bubble tank...

I once had a set of "self-repairing" tires on my pickup. When one finally went flat and the tire was dismounted from the rim for repair, there were five more nails in it! It is not unusual for tires of this type to seal the leak except when the vehicle is parked such that the tire flexes just the right way to open a little hole.

If the tire hasn't been off the rim, I'd take it off and see if there is anything "interesting" inside...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Dan Beaton) wrote in news:dghitf$bgs$1 @theodyn.ncf.ca:

"Someone letting the air out of it?"

funny as hell, kinda....yrs. ago i did that to my brother. flattened his l/f every thursday for a month (l/f so he wouldnt drive on it and cost me a tire). he got even with me using the 'gomer pyle' fuel mileage adventure. i was getting great mileage even b4 the 'tornado' was invented......irratic air lose, crudy or bent rim, penetration that only leaks when parked on. last one i ran into was caused by wheel weight being aligned right over the little white bar code tag on bead area. only leaked at times........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven