Tire pressure/winter tire ?? '03 Jetta GLI

I have a question about the tire pressure on my '03 Jetta GLI. I have stock

17" Monte Carlo wheels with the stock Michelins. VW recommends that the tires get something like 29 psi front, and 27 psi rear with normal load up to 100 miles per hour. Michelins recommendation is (I believe) 32 psi all around (too lazy to go out to the car and check). Whatever it is, it's different than the VW specs.

I go with the VW psi because I assume they engineered the car with these tires and found this to be the proper pressure performance-wise. My question is:

Does this affect the life of the tires? Should the tire pressure be adjusted for long trips or city use?

Also, any suggestions for snow tires/rims? Are there specific sizes that work well on this car...I'm in the Northeast, so I figure I should get that ball rolling...

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
lazar, z

I agree that you should stick with the VW recommendation. However I tend to go to error a little on the high side.

Your comment "Michelins recommendation is (I believe) 32 psi all around (too lazy to go out to the car and check)" makes me think that you are not looking at what Michelins recommends, but rather the max pressure for the tyres that is molded into the tyre. The pressure molded into the tyre is the highest the tyres are capable of holding safely. It is NOT a recommended value.

Low tyre pressure can cause poor handling, potential roll over and short tyre life. High tyre pressure can also cause poor handling (of a different kind) and short tyre life.

Your driving style, roads and load all go into what works best for YOUR car. The starting point should always be the manufacturers recommendation as long as you have stock tyre sizes. Never go below that value.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In article , Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hey, Joe. Now you are getting delusional guessing max tire pressures and A$$uming that 32 PSI is MAX. In your "God like complex" state you can't be serious. :) 32 PSI should not be a MAX number on any tire in this day and age unless it's a race slick or something like that. Did you just wake up from the 19 hundreds? :-) LOL Tyres...

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)

Tyre \Tyre\, [Tamil tayir.] Curdled milk. [India]

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)

Tyre \Tyre\, n. & v. Attire. See 2d and 3d {Tire}. [Obs.]

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)

Tyre \Tyre\, v. i. To prey. See 4th {Tire}. [Obs.]

From WordNet (r) 1.7 (wn)

Tyre n 1: a port in southern Lebanon on the Mediterranean Sea; formerly a major Phoenician seaport famous for silks [syn: {Sur}, {Tyre}] 2: hoop that covers a wheel; "automobile tires are usually made of rubber and filled with compressed air" [syn: {tire}]

From Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary (easton)

Tyre a rock, now es-Sur; an ancient Phoenician city, about 23 miles, in a direct line, north of Acre, and 20 south of Sidon. Sidon was the oldest Phoenician city, but Tyre had a longer and more illustrious history. The commerce of the whole world was gathered into the warehouses of Tyre. "Tyrian merchants were the first who ventured to navigate the Mediterranean waters; and they founded their colonies on the coasts and neighbouring islands of the AEgean Sea, in Greece, on the northern coast of Africa, at Carthage and other places, in Sicily and Corsica, in Spain at Tartessus, and even beyond the pillars of Hercules at Gadeira (Cadiz)" (Driver's Isaiah). In the time of David a friendly alliance was entered into between the Hebrews and the Tyrians, who were long ruled over by their native kings (2 Sam. 5:11; 1 Kings 5:1; 2 Chr. 2:3). Tyre consisted of two distinct parts, a rocky fortress on the mainland, called "Old Tyre," and the city, built on a small, rocky island about half-a-mile distant from the shore. It was a place of great strength. It was besieged by Shalmaneser, who was assisted by the Phoenicians of the mainland, for five years, and by Nebuchadnezzar (B.C. 586-573) for thirteen years, apparently without success. It afterwards fell under the power of Alexander the Great, after a siege of seven months, but continued to maintain much of its commercial importance till the Christian era. It is referred to in Matt. 11:21 and Acts 12:20. In A.D. 1291 it was taken by the Saracens, and has remained a desolate ruin ever since. "The purple dye of Tyre had a worldwide celebrity on account of the durability of its beautiful tints, and its manufacture proved a source of abundant wealth to the inhabitants of that city." Both Tyre and Sidon "were crowded with glass-shops, dyeing and weaving establishments; and among their cunning workmen not the least important class were those who were celebrated for the engraving of precious stones." (2 Chr. 2:7,14). The wickedness and idolatry of this city are frequently denounced by the prophets, and its final destruction predicted (Isa.

23:1; Jer. 25:22; Ezek. 26; 28:1-19; Amos 1:9, 10; Zech. 9:2-4). Here a church was founded soon after the death of Stephen, and Paul, on his return from his third missionary journey spent a week in intercourse with the disciples there (Acts 21:4). Here the scene at Miletus was repeated on his leaving them. They all, with their wives and children, accompanied him to the sea-shore. The sea-voyage of the apostle terminated at Ptolemais, about 38 miles from Tyre. Thence he proceeded to Caesarea (Acts 21:5-8). "It is noticed on monuments as early as B.C. 1500, and claiming, according to Herodotus, to have been founded about B.C. 2700. It had two ports still existing, and was of commercial importance in all ages, with colonies at Carthage (about B.C. 850) and all over the Mediterranean. It was often attacked by Egypt and Assyria, and taken by Alexander the Great after a terrible siege in B.C. 332. It is now a town of 3,000 inhabitants, with ancient tombs and a ruined cathedral. A short Phoenician text of the fourth century B.C. is the only monument yet recovered."

From Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary (late 1800's) (hitchcock)

Tyre, Tyrus, strength; rock; sharp

29 front 27 rear sounds like half load recommended specs.
Reply to
Peter Parker

tyre (tºr) n. Chiefly British. Variant of tire.

"Hey, Joe. Now you are getting delusional "

I think not but you have your opinion for whatever it is worth.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And indeed I believe most of the world uses tyre, not tire. Not that that makes it right or wrong, but it's certainly a widely accepted spelling for the round rubber things that go on wheels.

Reply to
4Motion