Taurus ignition switch actuator broken yet again

For the third time the nylon "actuator" for the ignition switch is broken in my '95 Taurus. It's a major PITA to dig in to the steering column's tilt-wheel machinery to replace this fragile, poorly-designed part. So here's my proposed repair and a question.

Suppose I were to install a big old-fashioned starter button and a couple of switches labeled RUN and ACCESSORY. Would this rig pass the California smog test next year, or would this be considered a modification of the "ignition system." Is there any other reason not to do it?

Reply to
Jack Myers

My suggestion is to talk to the authorities in California and get an opinion from them before you start. You know how their opinions might vary from practical and sensible opinions.

You could easily enough mount an external keyed ignition switch which already has the ACC and Run positions ready to go. This would eliminate problem you might have if you leave the ACC accidentally in the on position. Could make it a little harder for a thief to steal it, too, if you shield the switch carefully. It wouldnt have to be a Ford switch.

I havent seen that Ford actuator rod.. Could you fabricate one from better materials, and be shed of the whole problem?

Reply to
HLS