TDC mark not on flywheel where expected

A while ago I put a new clutch in my '82 NA 1.6L diesel VW Rabbit. Is it possible I put the flywheel back on wrong? Now that I'm doing the timing belt, I've hit a problem. I have the oil pan off so I can see when the #1 piston is at TDC according to the crank, but there is a mark on the flywheel about 60 degrees off from that. When I have the crank at TDC, there is no mark at all on the flywheel.

I'm assuming I should trust the crank and not the flywheel? Then kick myself for putting the flywheel back on wrong?

Thanks!!

Reply to
tylernt

Pure theory here: are there 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank? If so, 360 degrees divided by 6 bolts = 60 degrees off per bolt, IF the flywheel mounts any position. Hopefully another poster can tell you if the engine is externally balanced by the flywheel, in which case, it would need re-positioning. From experience: those engines can vibrate maddingly when out of tune. So, you may really appreciate having the mark where it can be referenced. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Possible, yes... but the flywheel is pined so it can happen easily. But I seen it done before. Or should be pined if the pin wasn't lost over the years. The only "CORRECT" way to time the engine is to fix the TDI mark issue first

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

When the engine is at TDC the rotor on the distributor points to the #1 spark plug wire, assuming the timing belt has not yet been removed.

( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) writes:

Reply to
William R. Watt