Thermostat trouble on 2001 Ford Focus

My 2001 Ford Focus has had replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing and gasket. In addition a complete coolant flush was performed and the system was filled with new coolant as specified by the manufacturer. This work was done at the dealership where I purchased the car. The car has approximately 75,300 miles on it. After the work was completed I noticed that for the first time since I purchased the car that the thermostat was moving off center and 3/4 of the way to the red mark when not running at highway speeds. I took the car back to the dealership the next day. They looked at the car again and recommended replacing the radiator. The also test drove the car to see if there was a possible air pocket causing the problem. Is there a "break-in" period for a new thermostat? Why is the temperature guage moving 3/4 of the way to the red mark?

Reply to
focusowner

You said "thermostat was moving off center and 3/4 of the way to the red mark when not running at highway speeds". If it only happens at low speeds my first thought would be an inop electric cooling fan, second thought would be a partially plugged radiator.

Reply to
Mike

Because when they did the coolant flush, they dislodged some junk from someplace where it wasn't doing any harm, and now it's clogging something up.

Assuming, of course, that it isn't air in the system.

Before replacing anything, I'd try reflushing the system again, possibly with a citric acid wash to get some junk out. Note that if the system is close to leaking, the citric acid stuff will open those leaks up, but if you're considering replacing the radiator anyway it won't do any harm.

Replacing the radiator might do some good, unless what is plugged is in the block or the pump. Better to get the clog out.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey