Manual transmission broken?

Can you please help me.

I happen to have Seat Toledo (manual, yr.1999/2000) and for a couple of weeks I've noticed that sometimes when parking the car as I have no gear and I just let the car slide back a little it stops like I would have put a gear suddenly on.

Another problem (are they possibly related?) yeasterday when driving I noticed wheening noice when driving on gear 5. I shifted on 4 and 3 wich were quiet at first. After a while also those gears started to have the same sound. There was no sound in chancing gears or the clucth pressed down or on free gear.

I got home safe, but should I drive it anymore. Could the problem be glutch or transmission - I am totally lost? What is the estimate for a fix?

Mika

Reply to
CauseIt

Hey, Mika. I think you should start over & re-phrase the symptoms in more detail and do an all-new post. The original is a little difficult to follow or understand. I think that would bring more responses. First guess is clutch, not trans. From this post, one could only guess that maybe clutch is hanging or sticking in the no-contact-to-flywheel(and/or to pressure plate) position and then suddenly unsticking & making contact with the flywheel and pressure plate, causing the jerk. No idea about cost, as I'm not familiar with your cart, a Seat Toledo. Again, maybe a new post... s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Most modern SEATs are very similar to contemporary VW models if that helps any.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Im glad you asked, SD.. I had the same feeling.

Reply to
<HLS

You know, I'm the one who is uninformed: whatever is his native language, he's sure doing a better job than if I were trying to write in HIS lang! And, btw HLS, hope you have a happy easter also, and if you fail to find the prize egg, maybe you can still get a reward for finding the most eggs!!! sd

Reply to
sdlomi2

Hi Mika...

Confusing Symptoms.

I am NOT an expert, but sounds like a clutch problem and/or low or no oil. I would check the gearbox oil before driving it further.(!!!) If it is dark change it! Also check clutch and clutch throwout bearing.

I would get a mechanic friend...or pay a mechanic for 1 hour to ride with you.

My opinion: Sounds like your throwout bearing is "toast' (english slang for "bad")

If sound is from under gearshift tunnel it is probably a gearbox problem. If it is from farther forward (toward engine) it is probably clutch or clutch throwout bearing

--Don Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

Thanks, buddy. Appreciate the thought and concurrently wish you the best of the Easter season.

The OP speaks Finnish. It is a difficult language, derived from Hungarian. Some Finns also speak Swedish. I understand Swedish and they understand (for the most part) my Norwegian ( although a slip of the tongue can get you in deep stuff;>).

Repairs in the Nordic countries are likely to be more expensive than in the mainland of Europe.

I suspect this to be a clutch problem, but am not totally sure what he is trying to say.

Reply to
<HLS