timing lamp on ECU car - wire connection to earth ?

Hi,

Excuse me for checking this beforehand on the forum.

When checking timing marks with a lamp, one said to me there should be a wire from the harness connected to earth/ground to ensure a fixed advance, which can then be adjusted. This distributor is still manually adjustable.

Can I believe this ? This connector is rather special, having a very thin metal pin and a plastic pin protruding next to it. So I guess this connector is meant for some factory- specific tester.

But I can believe this to be a common feature on some ECU cars.

Anyone has experience with this ?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Reply to
carl

Sorry,

Forgot to say crankshaft and camshaft angle/position sensor are incorporated in distributor. So injection timing is changed with this distributor setting as well. I think more reason to check it fysically ...

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
carl

You really should say what kind of car and engine and age. There are tons of 'new' ways to time a vehicle these days including a lot that cannot be adjusted.

Some of those 'unused' grounds are just for high altitude running.

Mike

carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Mike&all,

and sorry. It is a Mitsubishi Space Star 1.3 '99. Meanwhile I received confirmation from an ex-mechanic salesman. This brown/black wire is meant indeed to fix advance ignition to a value used for adjustment. Just is tricky that the connector looked too special to be used just for grounding.

FYI there is on this car also a blue fuel pump engine override connector for emptying the tank.

Carl

..."Mike Romain" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca...

Reply to
carl