tire diameters?

I had a '99 Cavalier, with 195/70r14 tires. Now, we've gotten an '04 Cav, with 195/65r15's. By my calculation, these have very nearly the same diameter.

- I assume there's some advantage to the 65r15's. Which would be ... ??

- The 70r14's from my '99 are in quite a bit better shape than the

65r15's on the '04. Is there a reason NOT to use them (with the wheels, natch) on the '04?

- I've heard, from a not-necessarily-reliable source, that the 70r14's are not much used anymore, and will be hard to get. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

the 65 series is a slightly lower profile tire than the 70 series. Look at the height of the sidewalls and you should see the difference.

those 15" tires should handle better with the 65 series.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Better handling due to less sidewall flexing.

The wheels are smaller, so don't use them if when you put them on they hit parts of the car... Like tie rod ends and calipers.

70's are getting a bit harder to find but they are still available. Check the tire ads in a newspaper to see what is selling. Or visit a web site.
Reply to
Paul